History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Riverside House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Burford, Oxfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8101 / 51°48'36"N

Longitude: -1.6356 / 1°38'8"W

OS Eastings: 425216

OS Northings: 212445

OS Grid: SP252124

Mapcode National: GBR 5SW.F98

Mapcode Global: VHBZS.LRNR

Entry Name: Riverside House

Listing Date: 12 September 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1223724

English Heritage Legacy ID: 419547

Location: Burford, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX18

County: Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Burford

Built-Up Area: Burford

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Burford

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Burford

Listing Text

BURFORD AND UPTON HIGH STREET
AND SIGNET (East Side)
SP2512 (Enlargement) Riverside House
7/49
12.9.55

GV II*


Town House. Late C18, altered and extended. Ashlar with slate roof to
main part, mostly Cotswold stone roofs otherwise, and some tiles. In 2
parts to front. The left hand part is 3-storeyed with chamfered quoins,
band over ground floor, moulded cornice over 1st floor, modillion cornice
and parapet to 2nd floor. Coped verges with convex ramps to gable ends,
ashlar chimneys. Central 2-storey angled bay with parapet and moulded
string over ground floor. Glazing bar sash windows in raised flat
architraves. Two tripartite windows on 2nd floor. The right hand part is
slightly set back, 2 storeys with cornice and parapet, chamfered quoins to
right, 1st floor cill band. 2 windows, 6-panelled door of c.1790s to left
with radial glazing to transom light and brackets to open pedimented stone
hood. The main entrance is in a Victorian (c.1869) 2-storey extension to
East through a large bracketed gabled porch, the former entrance is now a
3-light window; this extension is in a Gothic style, the lancet East
windows have foliage spandrels and the initials "T.H.C." - it cost £505.
T-plan hipped extension to South of this with a reset 2-light C15
Perpendicular window. Long 2-storey rear extension to rear of South
block, some C17 features - eg 2 pairs of hollow chamfered mullion windows;
4 windows to South, irregular; coped gable end with C19 3-light mullion
window on 1st floor and cusped circular vent. The best features
internally are in the bay window rooms - anthemion friezes, coloured
marble fire-places (on 1st floor with relief panel in centre of frieze of
c.1770), rails and fielded panel doors and reveals; stairs probably C18,
the stairhall retains modillion cornice in part.
An excellent Cotswold Town House, very important in its setting at end of
the High Street.


Listing NGR: SP2521612445

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.