This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.9687 / 50°58'7"N
Longitude: -2.768 / 2°46'4"W
OS Eastings: 346165
OS Northings: 119085
OS Grid: ST461190
Mapcode National: GBR MH.M8JX
Mapcode Global: FRA 562K.5G3
Plus Code: 9C2VX69J+FQ
Entry Name: The Treasurers House
Listing Date: 28 April 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1225764
English Heritage Legacy ID: 422284
Location: Martock, South Somerset, Somerset, TA12
Civil Parish: Martock
Built-Up Area: Martock
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST4619 MARTOCK CP
CHURCH STREET (East side)
9/194 The Treasurer's House
Medieval priest's house. C13, with C14 and C15 extensions, and small C19 wing. Ham stone coursed rubble, some ashlar work and dressings; double Roman clay tile roofs between stepped coped gables; brick chimney stacks. T-plan, single and
2-storey. The projecting wing westwards is the early C14 hall, with north-west corner buttress; west window 2-light plate tracery with mullion, no label; north and south walls each have two smaller windows to match, but without the crowning quatrefoil; pointed arched doorways at east end each side, with later casement windows over. The east crosswing of early C13 with small early C19 extension northwards; the south gable has a plate tracery window at first floor level, and below it two 3-light hollow-chamfer mullioned cinquefoil cusped windows, separated by a buttress, both with square labels; left of the upper window a slit window surrounded by unexplained drilled holes, possibly a stairlight; the west face has a single bay of 2-light chamfer-mullioned windows, the upper traceried, no labels: the C19 wing of 2 bays, with 3-light horizontal-bar casements above, and below two 2-light, one with earlier glazing, and to right a doorway screened by a timber weatherboarded flat roofed porch. In the south-east corner is the late C15/early C16 kitchen, which has no direct link to the house; the west elevation has a 2-light chamfer-mullioned flat-headed window without label to each level, and to left an almost triangular arched doorway. Inside, the hall has a 4-bay moulded arched collar-truss roof, with 3 purlins each slope, the lower and third bays double-windbraced and the second bay single-braced, a re-roofing of the same date as the kitchen; cinquefoil rere-arches to windows, no fireplace; the screen/gallery all covered in. The room in the crosswing to rear has a 4-panel deep moulded beam ceiling, probably C15; with a later fireplace inserted, possibly later C17, having chamfered stone jambs, and large slightly chamfered timber crossbeam. The first floor not examined. The kitchen has a 4-bay arched collar-truss roof, the panels between purlins covered but probably windbraced as the main hall; south bay much smoke- blackened, as is the south gable wall, which has a very wide but shallow fireplace with a near-triangular moulded arch. The Treasurer of Wells Cathedral became rector and patron of Martock 1227-8 (hence the house name), and the house is first mentioned in 1226. The plot was enlarged 1262, and the hall apparently added 1293-94. It remained part of the manor of Martock Rectory until sold in 1840. It remained in private hands until it was left to the National Trust in 1970.(VCH, Vol III, 1974; Saunders, Preb. G.W. Notes on the History of Martock Hundred Western Gazette, 1955; Wood E, C13 Domestic Architecture in England; Arch-Journal Supp, vol CV, 1950; Wood, M. The English Medieval House, Ferndale, 1981-includes plans of house).
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings