This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.2867 / 52°17'12"N
Longitude: -0.5998 / 0°35'59"W
OS Eastings: 495605
OS Northings: 266323
OS Grid: SP956663
Mapcode National: GBR DYQ.R4J
Mapcode Global: VHFPD.KS8C
Entry Name: Rushden Hall
Listing Date: 9 December 1949
Last Amended: 17 June 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1225991
English Heritage Legacy ID: 423022
Location: Rushden, East Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN10
Civil Parish: Rushden
Built-Up Area: Rushden
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Whitefriars, Rushden
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
RUSHDEN HIGH STREET SOUTH
SP9566SE (West side)
22/136 Rushden Hall
09/12/49 (Formerly listed as Rushden
Hall, High Street)
Country house, now public halls and offices. C14/C15 origins, but mainly early
to late C17 for Pemberton family, with mid C19 alterations and extensions.
Squared coursed limestone and limestone ashlar with C20 plain tile roof.
Originally probably H-plan, then courtyard. 3 storeys with attic. Early C17 main
front of 3-window range with flanking gabled wings breaking forward. Gable ends
have 2-storey, semi-circular, bay windows each of 8 lights with stone mullions.
Castellated parapets with ball finials. Central range has similar central bay
window which is a mid C19 facsimile. C17 studded plank door to right of centre
has moulded stone surround with 4-centred arch head. Dutch style shaped gable
with openwork semi-circles at apex and 2-light attic windows. Moulded string
course between floors. Ashlar stacks at ridge and ends. Entrance front to left
of main front is a 6-window range with a central 2-storey porch with castellated
parapet having a C19 moulded stone doorway with 4-centred arch head and C19
ribbed door. C19 three-light stone mullion windows, some with transoms. C19
canted stone bay windows to far left and right and gables with ashlar parapets;
that to far right breaks forward slightly. Small blank gable to left of centre
probably dates from mid C19 remodelling of this elevation. Elevation to right of
main front is of squared coursed limestone and probably incorporates part of the
cross wing of the medieval house; mainly C20 fenestration with fragment of
string course. Range of c19 domestic offices attached at right angles to rear.
Rear elevation has 2 C17 four-light stone mullion windows with transoms.
Courtyard elevation has one C19 three-light stone mullion window with transom.
Interior; original entrance hall to right of main front follows line of original
screens passage and has 3 doorways in wall to right with moulded stone surrounds
with 4-centred arch heads and sunk spandrels; originally giving access to the
service wing of the medieval house. Staircase of C17 origin, remodelled C19,
retains some C17 pierced splat balusters. Room to right of entrance hall was
formerly the smoking room and has fireplace with 4-centred arch head. Room to-
left of entrance hall occupies position of medieval hall, was formerly the
dining room, and has fireplace with 4-centred arch head, flanking moulded wood
caryatids, and panelled overmantel with arcading. Fire back has date 1614; all
reset. Hall to centre of C19 entrance front has reset linenfold panelling and
carved overmantle depicting storey of St. Ann and Joachim. Fire back with Tudor
arms and initials E.R. was probably reset from Higham Ferrers Castle. C19
staircase to right of hall. Former morning room to left and drawing room to
right of hall house have mid C19 fireplaces and moulded plaster cornices. Room
to rear of courtyard has large chamfered spine beam. First floor room of north
range has medieval fireplace with segmental arch head. First floor room to
centre of main front has plain barrel vault ceiling and reset C17 panelling
around bolection moulded fireplace. Some original roof structure may remain
above this room. The hall originally formed part of the Manor of the Peverel
family. It was owned by the Pemberton family during C16 and C17. Robert
Pemberton, a gentleman usher to Elizabeth I was responsible for some of the
building works. The Ekins family owned the hall from mid C16. It passes to
Jeremy Sanbrooke in 1735 and his heirs leased it to Thomas Fletcher in 1756 who
purchased the property in 1812. Thomas Williams bought the hall in 1823 and it
is he who subdivided the house, added the centre bay window and partially
remodelled the south elevation. In 1836 it passed to John Barrington Browne who
sold to the Satoris family mid C19 who were responsible for various late C19
alterations to the south front and a new kitchen wing. The hall was purchased by
the Urban District Council in 1930.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.395; Robin Pearson and Vicki
Atkinson, Rushden Hall; David Hall and Ruth Handing, Rushden, a Duchy of
Lancaster Village, p.180-187; Robert Slee, Country Life, Vol.142, p.591).
Listing NGR: SP9560566323
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings