This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5565 / 51°33'23"N
Longitude: -0.0546 / 0°3'16"W
OS Eastings: 534961
OS Northings: 185970
OS Grid: TQ349859
Mapcode National: GBR J6.NWM
Mapcode Global: VHGQV.04GM
Plus Code: 9C3XHW4W+H5
Entry Name: Bishop Wood's Almshouses
Listing Date: 24 April 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1226891
English Heritage Legacy ID: 424406
Location: Hackney, London, E5
Electoral Ward/Division: Lea Bridge
Built-Up Area: Hackney
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St James Clapton
Church of England Diocese: London
LOWER CLAPTON ROAD E5
5013 (South East Side)
Bishop Wood's Almshouses
TQ 3485 19/344 24.4.51.
Late C17 U-shaped range of single-storey almshouses, much restored. Red brick
with high pitched tiled roofs. Segmental arches to modern doors and casement windows.
Tall chimneys at intervals are part of late C19 restoration as is the small chapel
at north-east corner, red brick with stone dressings in late C14 style. North
wing has flat roof. In end wall of south wing (which is a late C19 shaped gable)
plaque with inscription commemorating founder, Thomas Wood, 1607-92, bishop of
Lichfield and Coventry and restoration 1930 by H R Ross.
Nos 158 to 162 (even) form a group with the stable and wall to No 162, and
Bishop Wood's Almshouses.
Listing NGR: TQ3496185970
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings