This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5563 / 51°33'22"N
Longitude: -0.0543 / 0°3'15"W
OS Eastings: 534984
OS Northings: 185949
OS Grid: TQ349859
Mapcode National: GBR J6.NYW
Mapcode Global: VHGQV.04NS
Plus Code: 9C3XHW4W+G7
Entry Name: Pond House
Listing Date: 24 April 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1226931
English Heritage Legacy ID: 424403
Location: Hackney, London, E5
Electoral Ward/Division: Lea Bridge
Built-Up Area: Hackney
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St James Clapton
Church of England Diocese: London
LOWER CLAPTON ROAD E5
5013 (South-East Side)
No 162 (Pond House)
TQ 3485 19/341 24.4.51.
Circa 1800 villa of large proportions. 2 storeys, attic and basement, 3 windows;
the centre bay slightly set back. Stucco with incised lines, 1st floor cill string,
cornice and blocking course. Fairly low pitched slated roof with 3 flat dormers.
Banded basement forms voussoirs to low lunettes. Sash windows with glazing bars
and ornamental cast iron guards, those on ground floor tripartite in segmental
arched recesses with large central paterae. Rebuilt steps to central projecting
semicircular porch with fluted Roman Doric columns, entablature with bucranium
frieze and blocking course. Pretty wrought iron railing. Central double door
with shaped panels in moulded architrave has small flanking windows. At either
side a concave quadrant wall holds doorway in entablature surround with bucranium
frieze. Inside a graceful curved wrought iron staircase.
Nos 158 to 162 (even) form a group with the stable and wall to No 162, and
Bishop Wood's Almhouses.
Listing NGR: TQ3498485949
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings