This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2072 / 52°12'25"N
Longitude: 0.5389 / 0°32'20"E
OS Eastings: 573581
OS Northings: 259590
OS Grid: TL735595
Mapcode National: GBR PCT.R27
Mapcode Global: VHJGS.9S8B
Plus Code: 9F426G4Q+VH
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 19 December 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1227383
English Heritage Legacy ID: 425126
Location: Ousden, West Suffolk, Suffolk, CB8
District: West Suffolk
Civil Parish: Ousden
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Ousden St Peter
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
19-DEC-61 CHURCH OF ST PETER
The tower and nave of the church are C12 (The castellated parapet of the tower
is later). The chancel and a memorial pew (now used as a vestry) on the north
side were built in the C18. The nave was extended some 19 ft in 1850. The church is of flint and stone rubble with dressed stone quoins. The tower, part of which has been cement rendered has Norman slit windows in the lower part and the upper part has round headed windows and engaged columns at the external angles. The north doorway is mainly C12 and has a semi-circular arch with a bold roll moulding and 2 nook shafts, the west one is Norman and the east one is C13, with moulded cap and base. The south doorway (now blocked) is Norman, with an arched head of Roman tiles, a chip-carved lintel with star pattern ornamentation and a tympanum with chequer work. The west jamb has a "Mass" dial with small holes to mark the hours. The tower stands between the chancel and nave and the interior has Norman arches on the east and west sides, with bold roll mouldings, impost blocks and engaged nook shafts. The font is C14, octagonal with ornamented panels and a tapering traceried shaft. The communion rail, with turned balusters, is late C17 and the Octagonal pulpit is C18. There is a wall monument to Laeticia Mosley (d. 1619), also Hanoverian arms, probably painted over Stuart.
The Church of St Peter, The Stables, formerly to Ousden Hall and dovecote form a group.
Listing NGR: TL7358159590
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings