This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.0838 / 53°5'1"N
Longitude: -2.8752 / 2°52'30"W
OS Eastings: 341474
OS Northings: 354423
OS Grid: SJ414544
Mapcode National: GBR 7B.9Q33
Mapcode Global: WH88T.TR17
Entry Name: Holly Bank, Formerly the Doctor's House
Listing Date: 1 March 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1228744
English Heritage Legacy ID: 403420
Location: Farndon, Cheshire West and Chester, CH3
County: Cheshire West and Chester
Civil Parish: Farndon
Built-Up Area: Farndon (Cheshire West and Chester)
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Farndon St Chad
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ 45 SW FARNDON C.P. BARTON ROAD
2/24 Holly Bank, formerly The
House, late C17 altered probably mainly mid C18, but by degrees.
Stone-dressed brown brick with grey slate roofs. The entrance front
(C18) of 3 storeys and 3 windows is symmetrical in form but with
varied detailing: slightly projecting stone bands 1st and 2nd floors;
rusticated stone quoins; cyma stone cornice, probably with upper
parapet removed. Stone plinth with moulded cap has 2 former window
openings to cellar left of probably late C19 gabled brick porch.
Lower 2 storeys are of irregular bond; upper storey is in imperfect
Flemish bond. Window to each side of porch is of 3 flush sashes:
4-pane: 12-pane: 4-pane, with stone cills; left window has gauged
brick flat arch, right window a rougher camber arch. 2nd storey has
12-pane flush sashes; that at centre under repaired gauged brick flat
arch, those to sides under camber arches. 3rd storey has low 6-pane
flush sashes under camber arches, the central opening blocked. Stone
cills. The right corner of probably C17 roof shows, offset, behind
the facade. Rear elevation (rendered) has band and 2 gables with
Interior: 2 and 3 panel oak doors. Cellar has stone and bedrock
walls, and a reused slotted chamfered beam. Front parlour, left has
altered inglenook and roughly chamfered oak main beam; rear left room
has stop-chamfered beam system and oak panelling inscribed John Leech
1729, RMRB Esq 1741, IW 1756 (repositioned), RB Esq 1724, TH 1771
(repositioned), WBAP 174; diagonal fireplace with hollow corbel for
hearth above. Rear right room has roughly chamfered beams. Kitchen
(rear wing, right) has ceiling frame with 2 roughly chamfered beams
and 1 C17 moulded beam with housings or open mortices on rear side.
Moulded oak bressumer across corner of outhouse behind kitchen, C17 or
earlier. Stair of 6 flights and 2 landings has dropped square newels
and 2 barleysugar balusters per step. Bar-stopped chamfered oak beam
in front bedroom, left. Oak purlins.
Listing NGR: SJ4147454423
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings