History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Matthew

A Grade II Listed Building in Smethwick, Sandwell

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4915 / 52°29'29"N

Longitude: -1.9563 / 1°57'22"W

OS Eastings: 403063

OS Northings: 288181

OS Grid: SP030881

Mapcode National: GBR 5L4.XQ

Mapcode Global: VH9YW.1MMV

Entry Name: Church of St Matthew

Listing Date: 29 September 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1229553

English Heritage Legacy ID: 404347

Location: Sandwell, B66

County: Sandwell

Electoral Ward/Division: Soho and Victoria

Built-Up Area: Smethwick

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands

Church of England Parish: Smethwick St Matthew with St Chad

Church of England Diocese: Birmingham

Find accommodation in
Sandwell

Listing Text

SANDWELL MB WINDMILL LANE/ST MATHEWS ROAD
SP 0388 SW
Smethwick
21/170 Church of St Matthew

II

Church. 1855 by Joseph James. Sandstone rubble with some limestone
dressings and tile roof. Comprises a nave with clerestory, north and
south aisles, north and south porches, lower chancel, north vestry and
south organ chamber. At the west end there is a central buttress between
two 2-light pointed windows with geometrical tracery. The west windows of
the aisles are each of one light. A gabled bellcote has two traceried open-
ings and is carried on carved corbels. The aisles are both of four bays
separated by buttresses and have pointed windows with flowing tracery of
various descriptions. The north and south doorways are moulded and pointed,
within gabled open timber porches with stone bases. The clerestory has four
quatrefoiled openings to each bay. The chancel east window is of three
cusped ogee lights with Geometrical tracery. Interior: five-bay nave arcades
of pointed arches chamfered in two orders and springing from round piers
with moulded capitals. The roof trusses have arch-braced collars, alternate
ones having wall posts carried on angel corbels. The pointed chancel arch
is moulded, one order having ball-flower decoration, and has a hood with
head stops. The responds are corbelled shafts which have foliated capitals
which include carved grapes. The north and south windows of the chancel
are of two lights and each has a hood with outer head stops and an inner
carved phoenix. On the south side the organ is set within a pointed arch.
The reredos, pulpit, and chancel rails are of alabaster. The east window
contains glass in memory of Henry Michell, died 1894.


Listing NGR: SP0306388181

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.