This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.4868 / 52°29'12"N
Longitude: -1.9562 / 1°57'22"W
OS Eastings: 403067
OS Northings: 287656
OS Grid: SP030876
Mapcode National: GBR 5L6.XF
Mapcode Global: VH9YW.1RNG
Plus Code: 9C4WF2PV+PG
Entry Name: Cape House
Listing Date: 24 February 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1380114
English Heritage Legacy ID: 479594
Location: Sandwell, B66
Electoral Ward/Division: Soho and Victoria
Built-Up Area: Smethwick
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands
Church of England Parish: Smethwick St Matthew with St Chad
Church of England Diocese: Birmingham
SP08NW CAPE HILL/DURBAN ROAD
1868/9/10021 Cape House
Dispensary. Dated 1907. Red brick with terracotta dressings. Slate roof.
PLAN: Central entrance under a clock tower, with hall on left [W] and single-storey range on right [E], and with 2-storey block behind facing west.
EXTERIOR: 1 and 2 storeys. Asymmetrical south front with central tower with rusticated quoins, modillion cornice and clock stage with cupola above; at base of tower a round arch doorway with panelled double doors, putti in keystone and swags in the spandrels, plaque above inscribed : Birmingham General Dispensary, with scrolled and festooned cornice over. Hall on left with large Venetian window with festooned dated cartouche in broken pediment above. To right of tower 1:2 bays, right hand set back, windows in moulded architraves with festooned scrolls at heads, pulvinated frieze, modillion cornice and blocking course. Right-hand [E] return, 2 storeys, 2:1:2 bay range projects on right with rusticated quoins, central bay with small segmental pediment containing cartouche and with blocked doorway; flanked by canted bay windows; small porch in left [S] angle. West side has Venetian window in pedimental gable with C20 single-storey extension below. Windows with leaded panes and some stained glass. East side has sashes with glazing bars.
INTERIOR not inspected.
Listing NGR: SP0306787656
Other nearby listed buildings