This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5126 / 51°30'45"N
Longitude: -0.1428 / 0°8'34"W
OS Eastings: 528973
OS Northings: 180928
OS Grid: TQ289809
Mapcode National: GBR DC.3Y
Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.G7WT
Entry Name: Church of St George, Vestry and Obelisks
Listing Date: 24 February 1958
Last Amended: 1 December 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1235638
English Heritage Legacy ID: 426436
Location: Westminster, London, W1S
District: City of Westminster
Electoral Ward/Division: West End
Built-Up Area: City of Westminster
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St George, Hanover Square
Church of England Diocese: London
This list entry was subject to a MInor Amendment on 08/12/2016
TQ 2880 NE
CITY OF WESTMINSTER
ST GEORGE STREET, W1 (east side)
Church of St George, Vestry and Obelisks
(Formerly listed as Church of St George, Vestry and Obelisks, ST GEORGE'S STREET)
(Formerly listed under Hanover Square)
Hanover Square Parish church. 1720-24 by John James. Portland ashlar. Large hexastyle Corinthian column portico, on shallow flight of steps over pavement, with pediment and modillion cornice. Portico flanked by obelisks. Short west tower behind portico with coupled column Wren inspired belfry and cupola. Side elevation to Maddox Street more Baroque exercise in Hawksmoor manner with 2 tiers of windows vertically composed with heavy rustication and pediments. To rear, below the columned and segmental arched Venetian east window is the single storey and basement vestry: dark brick with red brick dressings; Portland stone cornice and blocking course, stucco plinth. Three windows, sashes with original glazing bars, gauged segmental arches. Stone architrave doorway with panelled door at head of flight of steps, in a later C18 lobby added to north.
Church interior: cross vaulted aisles and segmental vaulted nave, galleries on square pillars with Corinthian columns above carrying vault. Reredos with Last Supper attributed to William Kent; original pulpit, organ case and finely carved Royal Arms. Reset mid C16 Flemish glass to east windows etc: screens and stalls by Sir Reginald Blokfield whose uncle Sir Arthur restored St George's in 1894.
London Vol I, N Pevsner (third edition).
Listing NGR: TQ2896880926
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings