This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9971 / 52°59'49"N
Longitude: -1.1332 / 1°7'59"W
OS Eastings: 458270
OS Northings: 344768
OS Grid: SK582447
Mapcode National: GBR LS5.TR
Mapcode Global: WHDGL.KXLR
Entry Name: Arnold War Memorial
Listing Date: 21 January 2019
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1460060
Location: Gedling, Nottinghamshire, NG5
Electoral Ward/Division: Ernehale
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Arnold
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
First World War memorial.
First World War memorial.
MATERIALS: granite from Aberdeen.
EXTERIOR: the memorial stands in Arnot Hill Park between the Grade II-listed house and the lake. It is in the form of a tall Celtic wheel cross on a tapering trapezoid plinth surmounted on a two-stepped base. The main face of the cross is embellished with intricate carving. All four sides of the plinth are inscribed with the names.
The front face of the shaft bears the inscription carved in relief: IN/ GRATEFUL/ MEMORY/ OF/ THE MEN OF/ ARNOLD/ WHO GAVE/ THEIR LIVES/ IN THE/ GREAT WAR/ 1914 - 1918.
The front face of the plinth bears a later inscription: AND ALSO OF THOSE WHO LOST THEIR LIVES/ DURING THE WAR 1939 - 1945/ AND OTHER CONFLICTS.
The memorial is set within a small square enclosure bounded by blue brick dwarf walls with decorative iron railings.
The concept of commemorating war dead did not develop to any great extent until towards the end of the C19. Previously, memorials were rare and were mainly dedicated to individual officers, or sometimes regiments. The first large-scale erection of war memorials dedicated to the ordinary soldier followed the Second Boer War of 1899-1902, the first major war following reforms to the British Army which led to regiments being recruited from local communities and with volunteer soldiers. However, it was the aftermath of the First World War that was the great age of memorial building, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
In 1914 the Urban Development Corporation in Arnold purchased the Victorian Arnot Hill House (Grade II listed) and grounds with the intention of opening the park to the public. These plans were deferred at the outbreak of the First World War as Arnot Hill House was used by the Red Cross Society as a convalescent home for the wounded. In 1919 when the Red Cross vacated, the park was opened to the public with the first of many band concerts and a free tea for the children. Funds were raised for the war memorial which was unveiled on 27th May 1922. It was made by W H Higginbottom and Messrs Thomas Long and Sons of Nottingham.
Arnold War Memorial in Arnot Hill Park is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* it is an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* it is a well-detailed war memorial in the form of a tall Celtic wheel cross on a tapering trapezoid plinth;
* it stands in the grounds of the Grade II listed Arnot Hill House with which it has group value.
Other nearby listed buildings