History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

26, Tredegar Square

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bow West, Tower Hamlets

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5276 / 51°31'39"N

Longitude: -0.0325 / 0°1'56"W

OS Eastings: 536584

OS Northings: 182802

OS Grid: TQ365828

Mapcode National: GBR K3.GHQ

Mapcode Global: VHGQV.DV6S

Entry Name: 26, Tredegar Square

Listing Date: 29 December 1950

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1242118

English Heritage Legacy ID: 441470

Location: Tower Hamlets, London, E3

County: Tower Hamlets

Electoral Ward/Division: Bow West

Built-Up Area: Tower Hamlets

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Mary Bow and Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Stepney

Listing Text

The following entry shall be added:

TREDEGAR SQUARE
TQ 3682 (north side)

788-/11/261 No. 26

GV 29/12/50 II*

Terraced house. Completed in carcass 1827, interior fitted out in 1836-7. Forms part of an
important terrace with classical stucco treatment, arranged as three linked 3-storey ranges. No.
26 comprises one decorated end of the centrepiece, with Ionic columns in antis under deep
cornice, over rusticated ground floor; a two-storey link building with a round-headed window
between pilasters under a pediment; and the former no. 25 of two bays, that to the right slightly
projecting, and both with round-headed ground-floor windows and first floor architrave
surrounds.
This has always been the largest and grandest house in the terrace, but is remarkable for the
painted decoration in its first floor front room, which consists of a series of painted papers and
panels in the style made popular by J G Crace in the late 1830s but which are now
exceptionally rare, especially in so relatively ordinary a house. Ceiling with stencilled decoration.
Four wall panels flank the entrance and chimney breast opposite, and four the front and rear
windows; the panel above the chimney breast is painted in the same style. They are executed
in a variety of media on paper and board glued to the walls. The four larger panels have a green
border drawn into a shallow arch at the top. By this simple device the panels are given scale and
an almost architectonic quality. Inside this border there is a 'frame' picked out in gold stencil.
At the centre of each arched panel is a roundel depicting putti with various attributes. These
are executed in oil on paper which has been pasted down on top of the painted wall paper. The
roundels are set off by a pair of birds resting on delicate bars of ornament. Floral swags and
naturalistic foliage sit inside this frame. The motifs are various and include ivy branches, bamboo
leaves, acanthus leaves, ribbons, a goldfish bowl, a vase and a pair of birds. The roundels
represent the arts and sciences. The quality of execution is high throughout and in places
brilliant.


Listing NGR: TQ3658482802

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.