This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.812 / 50°48'43"N
Longitude: -3.6452 / 3°38'42"W
OS Eastings: 284189
OS Northings: 102676
OS Grid: SS841026
Mapcode National: GBR L9.Y2CW
Mapcode Global: FRA 367Y.KQB
Plus Code: 9C2RR963+RW
Entry Name: Lower Creedy Farmhouse Including Outbuildings Adjoining to North West
Listing Date: 20 May 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1243578
English Heritage Legacy ID: 447505
Location: Upton Hellions, Mid Devon, Devon, EX17
Civil Parish: Upton Hellions
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Sandford St Swithin
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 80 SW UPTON HELLIONS
3/284 Lower Creedy Farmhouse
including outbuildings adjoining
Farmhouse, now house. Probably C16 core largely rebuilt in early C17, modernised
in C19. Plastered cob on rubble footings; volcanic rubble stacks, some topped
with C19 brick, thatched roof. Originally a 3-room-and-through-passage house
facing south-west with inner room at right (south-east) end. End stacks to former
service and inner rooms and axial hall stack backing onto former passage. In
early C17 rear wings added to service and inner rooms (latter since demolished)
and at same time main range extended to north-west, parts of which are now
included in a cross wing of outbuildings. In C19 new front door inserted to upper
end of hall and C19 stair block added to rear. 2 storeys. Irregular 5-window
front of which 3 window right end is symmetrical about door. All are 3-light
casements with glazing bars and some with vertical iron bars with exception of
first floor left which is an early C17 oak 3-light frame with ovolo-moulded
mullions (the left light now blocked). Main entrance now right of centre has C19
6-panel door with overlight and flat roofed porch on granite Doric columns.
Secondary 4-panel door to left to former passage with overlight and glazing bars.
Hall stack has C17 volcanic chimney shaft. Rear block to service room has C17 3-
light oak window with external hollow chamfer and internal ogee moulding on ground
floor south-east side and rear wall of north-west extension includes an oak 2-
light ovolo moulded mullion window.
Interior was extensively refurbished in C19 but much C17 work survives and more is
probably hidden. Massive hall fireplace with chamfered oak lintel. Cross-beam
over C19 entrance lobby is chamfered with late step stops as are all exposed C17
beams in former service room, rear block and north-west extension. Roof
inaccessible but lower parts are exposed indicating that it is comprised of
probably C17 A-frame trusses. Barn adjoining to left and projecting forward is
floored with reused C17 beams and C20 monopitch roof of corrugated iron.
Lower Creedy is a Domesday manor and was held by Ropert le Peyter in C13.
According to Polwhele, it was rebuilt by Sir John Davie in C17 (Devon SMR). It
was occupied by Reynells family, whose probable monument is in the church (q.v.)in
C17 and was also home of the composer and Exeter Cathedral organist John Davy
(1763-1824) (Upton Hellions Church Guide).
Listing NGR: SS8418902676
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings