This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0802 / 51°4'48"N
Longitude: -0.6968 / 0°41'48"W
OS Eastings: 491386
OS Northings: 132020
OS Grid: SU913320
Mapcode National: GBR DCZ.BMS
Mapcode Global: FRA 96F8.GC3
Entry Name: Courtyard Lodge Hunters Lodge Keepers Cottage and Attached Wall to West
Listing Date: 10 December 1973
Last Amended: 14 May 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1244057
English Heritage Legacy ID: 448771
Location: Haslemere, Waverley, Surrey, GU27
Civil Parish: Haslemere
Built-Up Area: Haslemere
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Haslemere
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
SU 93 SW HASLEMERE HASTE HILL
Courtyard Lodge, Hunters
915/10/10002 Lodge, Keepers Cottage &
attached wall to west
Service wing of mansion, including gun room and wall. Circa 1870 by F P Cockerell, altered 1887 and late C20. This is the only remaining part of a mansion called Lythe Hill House, demolished after a fire. Jacobean style. Flemish bond brickwork with diaper patterns and some terracotta ornament, slate roof and 2 paired rubbed brick chimneystacks. Centre of one storey and attics with 4:6 windows. Four gabled dormers with casements and C20 casements and lean-to porches to ground floor. Projecting end bays in form of pavilions. Right side pavilion dated 1870 with terracotta blank shield. Triple window to first floor, with Gothic head and terracotta ornament below. Blocked Tudor arch below with inserted C20 window. Left side pavilion is similar but with terracotta shield dated 1887 and flanked by caryatids. A one storey one bay link leads to an attached wall about 14 feet high with carved brick relief of a mediaeval hunting scene and Tudor arched entrance with pilasters, ball finial (one missing) and curved pediment decorated with lions' manes and serpents tails. Rear elevation of building has 2 conical towers, one with weathervane. East side has resited terracotta panel. Interior has monochrome cartoon dated 1873 depicting the manufacturer Hodgkin in Renaissance dress receiving his tenants paying tithes. Initials JSH 1873 identify either the artist or patron.
Listing NGR: SU9138632020
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings