This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.1124 / 51°6'44"N
Longitude: -0.7302 / 0°43'48"W
OS Eastings: 488984
OS Northings: 135554
OS Grid: SU889355
Mapcode National: GBR DCK.27N
Mapcode Global: VHDYP.99BL
Plus Code: 9C3X4769+XW
Entry Name: Hindhead House
Listing Date: 19 September 1977
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1244173
English Heritage Legacy ID: 448996
Location: Haslemere, Waverley, Surrey, GU26
Civil Parish: Haslemere
Built-Up Area: Grayshott
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Hindhead
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
(East Side) (off)
SU 83 NE 7/96
1884. Surrey C.C. blue plaque: Professor John Tyndall F.R.S. 1820-1893 of the
Royal Institution built this house in 1884 and lived here until his death.
Professor Tyndall was the pioneer of a movement towards Hindhead by academic and
literary people who built villas on its healthy slopes; and Hindhead House is typical
of many such villas.
Irregular building of 2 storeys and attics. Two wide bays on entrance front, the
left with an enclosed projecting porch. Red brick with brighter red brick dressings
including flat or slightly cambered gauged window arches. First floors tile hung
with fishscale bands. Red tiled roofs with overhanging eaves and gable ends.
On garden front a large, 2-storey, half-octagon projection with top balcony and
2 further windows. Tall central chimney stack. Now the property of the L.A. and
converted into flats.
Listing NGR: SU8898435554
Other nearby listed buildings