History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

United Reform Church, Hall and Manse

A Grade II Listed Building in Haslemere, Surrey

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1124 / 51°6'44"N

Longitude: -0.7368 / 0°44'12"W

OS Eastings: 488522

OS Northings: 135550

OS Grid: SU885355

Mapcode National: GBR DCK.0KH

Mapcode Global: VHDYP.59VK

Entry Name: United Reform Church, Hall and Manse

Listing Date: 19 September 1977

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1244608

English Heritage Legacy ID: 449582

Location: Haslemere, Waverley, Surrey, GU26

County: Surrey

District: Waverley

Civil Parish: Haslemere

Built-Up Area: Grayshott

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Grayshott

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in
Hindhead

Listing Text

TOWER ROAD
1.
5393
Hindhead
United Reformed Church,
Hall and Manse
SU 83 NE 7/188
II
2.
1899, the gift of John Grover a Hindhead builder who did much work for R. Norman
Shaw. The plans were made in Shaw's office after a sketch by Shaw himself.
One-storey chapel with 3 windows to right and a blank bay to left of large porch.
Dressed random masonry with freestone quoins. Steeply pitched swept tiled roof
has bell turret, with tall shingled spirelet, on ridge. Lunettes in stone-coped
gable ends. Three light leaded casements. Peaked segmental porch coping. Simple,
well-proportioned interior with roof supported by moulded ties on long corbels.
Moulded wood cornice. Twin stone arches to organ and vestry. Original oak benches
with cushions covered in tapestry designed by W.R. Lethaby. Similar but smaller
hall visible on outside as one-storey link to Manse. This was not built until
1905 but was designed in 1899 and forms part of the original conception. Two storeys
under gable at right, one storey and attic at left. Similar stonework to church.
Tall, red-tiled roof with large dormers and prominent chimneys. Three, 4, and
5-light casements, some with transoms.
In the church a memorial plaque to the benefactor John Grover who built New Scotland
Yard.

Listing NGR: SU8852235550

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.