This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.3703 / 50°22'13"N
Longitude: -4.1283 / 4°7'41"W
OS Eastings: 248742
OS Northings: 54429
OS Grid: SX487544
Mapcode National: GBR RDM.69
Mapcode Global: FRA 2872.3J0
Plus Code: 9C2Q9VCC+4M
Entry Name: Church of St John the Evangelist
Listing Date: 14 October 1991
Last Amended: 9 November 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1244521
English Heritage Legacy ID: 473382
Location: Plymouth, PL4
County: City of Plymouth
Electoral Ward/Division: Sutton and Mount Gould
Built-Up Area: Plymouth
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
SX4854 EXETER STREET, Plymouth
740-1/58/367 (South side)
14/10/91 Church of St John the Evangelist
(Formerly Listed as:
Church of St John the Evangelist)
Anglican church. 1851-5 by B Ferrey; N Lady Chapel 1883,
rebuilt 1955. Roughly coursed and squared limestone with
ashlar dressings; dry slate roofs with coped gable ends.
STYLE: Early Pointed.
PLAN: nave, N and S aisles, Lady Chapel annexe to N aisle, N
and W porches, tower to E end of N aisle.
EXTERIOR: corner angle buttresses; aisles with 2-light windows
with plate tracery; chancel 4-light E window with sexfoil
tracery; lancets to sides; 2-light end aisle windows with bar
tracery and hoodmoulds, all windows cusped. Pointed-arched
moulded doorways, E porch doorway with head stops to
hoodmoulds and stepped lancets over; cusped rose window above
E gable of nave. Lady Chapel has lancets to N wall and cusped
W rose window. 3-stage tower has weathered corner buttresses
and louvred 2-light traceried windows with hoodmoulds; broach
spire with lucarnes springing from narrower upper stage;
moulded pointed arched N doorway.
INTERIOR: plastered walls and open timber scissor-truss roofs;
tall moulded chancel arch without capitals; 5-bay arcades with
FITTINGS: font of polished limestone; high altar reredos of
1869 with carved figures; former chancel screen of ironwork on
wooden traceried base, now forms screen to Lady Chapel;
octagonal pulpit of 1869 with top panel open trefoils painted
c1900 in Quattrocento style; octagonal font in squat early
English style with carved cover by Pinwell sisters; S chapel
screen of 1914 with triptych painted in quattrocento style;
screen between chancel and vestry has bar tracery to glazed
arcade above bench.
STAINED GLASS: E window with evangelists 1865 by Hardman; 3 x
S aisle windows of 1867-70 and former E window of 1862 now in
HISTORY: Ferrey was a pupil of AWN Pugin.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Devon: London: 1989-:
643-4; Power WJ: A Layman's View of Some Plymouth Churches:
Listing NGR: SX4874254429
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings