History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Dockyard Extension Wall

A Grade II Listed Building in Portsmouth, Portsmouth

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 50.8035 / 50°48'12"N

Longitude: -1.0931 / 1°5'35"W

OS Eastings: 463999

OS Northings: 100829

OS Grid: SU639008

Mapcode National: GBR VQP.K4

Mapcode Global: FRA 86LZ.3Y7

Plus Code: 9C2WRW34+9P

Entry Name: Dockyard Extension Wall

Listing Date: 13 August 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1244592

English Heritage Legacy ID: 476646

Location: Charles Dickens, Portsmouth, PO1

County: Portsmouth

Electoral Ward/Division: Charles Dickens

Built-Up Area: Portsmouth

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: St Thomas of Canterbury, Portsmouth

Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth

Find accommodation in


HM Naval Base
Dockyard Extension Wall


Includes: Dockyard Extension Wall, FLATHOUSE ROAD HM NAVAL BASE
Dockyard wall. c1864 -1870 (Riley) with C20 alterations. Rubblestone and red brick. Chamfered plinth. Quoined brick pilaster strips and brick bands. Domed brick coping. Wall is approx. 4 metres high and at irregular intervals ramps up over round archways which give access to gun bastions
which on the outer face of the wall are expressed as corbelled semi- circular oriels with 3 gun slits and coping. At intervals there are bricked-up quoined doorways with concreted lintels. Opposite building No. 3/88 (not included) is the old Pitt Street Gate which has rectangular piers of banded brick and concrete blocks with flat concrete coping and lamps; 2-leaf board gate with iron spikes. Near the Unicorn Gate ( qv) on the inner side of the wall is a reset small iron cupboard having strap- hinged door with circular vents and central hole. Originally the cupboard was set nearer the Unicorn Gate and in the outer face of the wall; inside was a gas jet from which pipes could be lit.
HISTORY: the cupboard was on the outside of the wall since smoking and carrying of matches was forbidden inside the dockyard. The wall was built as part of the dockyard extension programme which was begun in 1864, the scheme for it being drawn up by Colonel Sir Andrew Clarke (Royal Engineers).
(Sources: The Buildings of England: Lloyd D: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight: Harmondsworth: 1985: 418; The Portsmouth Papers: Riley RC: The Evolution of the Docks and Industrial Buildings in Portsmouth: Portsmouth: 1985: 22, 25).

HM Naval Base
774-1/7/190 Dockyard Extension Wall


See under: Dockyard Extension Wall, CIRCULAR ROAD HM NAVAL BASE

Listing NGR: SU6299200361

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.