This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.3656 / 50°21'56"N
Longitude: -4.1614 / 4°9'41"W
OS Eastings: 246374
OS Northings: 53978
OS Grid: SX463539
Mapcode National: GBR R76.7L
Mapcode Global: FRA 2852.GM5
Plus Code: 9C2Q9R8Q+6C
Entry Name: Royal Marine Barracks South West Block and Attached Front Basement Railings
Listing Date: 1 May 1975
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1244642
English Heritage Legacy ID: 473368
Location: St. Peter and the Waterfront, Plymouth, PL1
Electoral Ward/Division: St Peter and the Waterfront
Built-Up Area: Plymouth
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
SX4653NW DURNFORD STREET, Stonehouse
740-1/65/781 (East side)
01/05/75 Royal Marine Barracks: SW block &
attached front basement railings
Formerly known as: Officers' Residence (7 flats) DURNFORD
STREET Stonehouse, R M Barracks.
Married officer's quarters at Marines barracks, now flats.
c1860, designed by Colonel G Greene, Director of the Admiralty
Works Department; converted to flats 1907.
Plymouth limestone ashlar and limestone dressings; dry slate
hipped roofs behind stone parapets with moulded cornices; tall
ashlar stacks with moulded entablature; segmental-roofed
PLAN: L-shaped plan of single-depth apartments with stair in
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys plus attic over basement and 4 storeys
over basement; 1:5:3-window range with plinth, rusticated
quoin strips and mid-floor string above ground floor. Late C19
horned sashes within plain stone architraves. Left-hand bay
has tripartite windows over segmental-arched carriage entrance
with small-paned overlight. Blocked pilastered doorways with
moulded entablature central to next 5 bays and central to
taller 3-bay block on the right. Other elevations have similar
INTERIOR: former apartments divided by axial passage, retain
some original 4-panel doors and plain stone fire surrounds; a
good cantilevered open well stone stair with curved ends and
iron balusters in the rear angle.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: late C19 latticed and scrolled
wrought-iron railings surrounding forecourt and flanking
HISTORY: part of the expansion of the barracks in the 1860s by
Greene. It was originally designed for 13 officers, closing
the SW side of the C18 parade ground. Stonehouse is the oldest
non-garrison barracks in England, and a complete complex of
considerable architectural and historic significance.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Devon: London: 1989-:
Listing NGR: SX4637453978
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings