This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.3656 / 50°21'56"N
Longitude: -4.161 / 4°9'39"W
OS Eastings: 246405
OS Northings: 53976
OS Grid: SX464539
Mapcode National: GBR R78.DC
Mapcode Global: FRA 2852.GRK
Plus Code: 9C2Q9R8Q+6J
Entry Name: Royal Marine Barracks South Block and Attached Basement Railings
Listing Date: 1 May 1975
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1244644
English Heritage Legacy ID: 473370
Location: St. Peter and the Waterfront, Plymouth, PL1
Electoral Ward/Division: St Peter and the Waterfront
Built-Up Area: Plymouth
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
SX4653NW DURNFORD STREET, Stonehouse
740-1/65/783 (East side)
01/05/75 Royal Marine Barracks: South block
and attached basement railings
Formerly known as: N & E Blocks, Officer's Mess, Dining Hall &
Single Officers Accom. DURNFORD STREET Stonehouse, R M
Officers' accommodation at Marines barracks. 1780-83, built
for the Ordnance Board by Messrs Templer & Parlby; extended
c1860, to design by Col G Greene, Director of the Admiralty
MATERIALS: Plymouth limestone rubble with limestone dressings;
dry slate hipped roof behind coped rubble parapet over bands;
ashlar stack over cross wall towards right and lateral stack
behind; truncated remains of stacks over the other 2 cross
walls; dormer window at far right.
PLAN: rectangular plan 6 rooms long plus 3 stair towers at
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys plus attic over basement; 16-window range.
Mostly C20 horned copies of original or C19 hornless sashes
with glazing bars within plain stone architraves. 3 former
doorways with blocked jambs and stepped keys beneath a cornice
linked to plat band; plate glass overlights and planked doors
except for the doorway on the right which is now fitted with a
window. A cast-iron moulded hopper to the front is inscribed
INTERIOR: largely rebuilt mid C20.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: late C19 latticed and scrolled
wrought-iron railings surrounding forecourt and flanking steps
HISTORY: the E end is the only surviving part of the original
officer's quarters containing the Commandant's House and that
of his deputy in the ends, with officer's quarters between. It
was extended to the W to provided accommodation for 8 more
captain's as part of Greene's extension of the barracks, which
enclosed the C18 parade ground. Barracks were built for the
Marines regiments, formed in 1755, at Chatham, Portsmouth, and
Devonport, but this is the only one to have survived.
Stonehouse is the oldest and most important barracks in
England not forming part of a fortification, a rare example of
C18 planning, and a complex of great historic value.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Devon: London: 1989-:
Listing NGR: SX4640553976
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings