This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.7798 / 53°46'47"N
Longitude: -2.2708 / 2°16'14"W
OS Eastings: 382255
OS Northings: 431532
OS Grid: SD822315
Mapcode National: GBR DSLQ.5S
Mapcode Global: WHB83.28Y5
Plus Code: 9C5VQPHH+WP
Entry Name: Cherryfold
Listing Date: 29 September 1977
Last Amended: 19 November 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1244959
English Heritage Legacy ID: 467184
Location: Rosegrove with Lowerhouse, Burnley, Lancashire, BB11
Electoral Ward/Division: Rosegrove with Lowerhouse
Built-Up Area: Burnley
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Burnley St Mark
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD83SW ROSSENDALE ROAD
906-1/3/120 (North side)
(Formerly Listed as:
Farmhouse, formerly with attached barn and shippon, now all
one dwelling. Dated 1687 internally; extended, altered,
rebuilt and recently restored. Sandstone random rubble (and
some C20 brick now faced with rubble), stone slate roof.
PLAN: irregular and unorthodox plan resulting from alternate
rebuildings at various dates, consisting of a 2-unit domestic
range in 2 builds, with the former barn attached and
projecting to the left.
EXTERIOR: the house is 2 low storeys, 1:1 windows, with a
quoined vertical joint between the C17 portion and the
addition to its right; the former has a double-chamfered
mullioned window of 3+3 lights at ground floor with a
king-mullion and a hood-mould (and the left end slightly
overlapped by the added farm building), and a 4-light window
above with chamfered flush mullions; the addition to the right
has a doorway abutting the junction and one altered 3-light
casement on each floor to the right, all these openings with
plain surrounds. Ridge chimney at the junction (i.e. the
former gable). Immediately inside this addition the original
gable wall of the C17 portion has a doorway with chamfered
surround; and its interior has a rectangular stone fireplace
with lintel dated 1687, chamfered beams of dubious
authenticity; and a thick interrupted lateral partition wall
which is probably related to an earlier phase in the
development of the plan.
The former barn range has been much altered (with brick
outshuts to the front now clad in rubble) but has a
segmental-arched opening at the rear.
INTERIOR not inspected.
Listing NGR: SD8225531532
Other nearby listed buildings