This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.4691 / 52°28'8"N
Longitude: 1.4412 / 1°26'28"E
OS Eastings: 633833
OS Northings: 291252
OS Grid: TM338912
Mapcode National: GBR WKW.56J
Mapcode Global: VHM6G.X6SJ
Plus Code: 9F43FC9R+JF
Entry Name: Numbers 1-28 Attached Screen Walls, Garages
Listing Date: 19 November 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1245411
English Heritage Legacy ID: 471700
Location: Ditchingham, South Norfolk, Norfolk, NR35
District: South Norfolk
Civil Parish: Ditchingham
Built-Up Area: Ditchingham
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Ditchingham St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TM 39 SW DITCHINGHAM SCUDAMORE PLACE
1898/6/10003 Nos. 1-28 (consec) attached
screen walls, garages
Housing estate of elderly persons bungalows in four terraces with aattached screen walls and garages. Nos 1-5, Nos 6-12, Nos 15-21 and 22-28 (all consecutive), completed by a bungalow linked to a two-storey day room. Built by the Loddon Rural District Council, 1956-64, architects Tayler and Green. Single storey, brick-sand lie, dapple lights, yellow-brown and red facings over tarred plinths. Decorative gable ends including projecting diaper patterns in headers (no 1); diaper patterns in dark brown and dapple light facings (No 5); projecting headers with date '1959' (no 12); diaper pattern in red headers and stretchers (N o 15) .Wooden bargeboards, plain and zig-zag cut, tall brick chimney stacks with pitched concrete copings and clay pots. Plans with varied frontages, ranges of two and three-1ight steel casement windows and timber doors with glazed panels. Wooden trelliswork fixed to front elevations of several dwellings, a part of the original design. Two-storey warden's house, No 14, groups with the single-storey day room set at right angles, turning the corner from Hollow Hill Road to Thwaite Road. Day room has large timber framed 'picture window' projecting as shallow bay, and glazed entrance door, alongside which is set a black slate panel, with Sir Edmund Bacon, the architects, and the builders, Harvey and Leech. The site layout takes the form of four terraces, running south-west to north-east though not precisely parallel, with vehicular access to each end, and pedestrian walks between and along the north and south. The terraces are linked with curved brick crinkle crankle walls, and an electrical sub-station and two garages, facing the short cul-de-sac north of Thwaite Road, are elements of the original design. The estate as a whole is notable for the sensitivity of its detailing, the ingenuity of its layout and the rich design quality generated from simple, inexpensive materials. Each element has been designed to relate to the whole concept, and the estate also complements the nearby housing Nos 25-39 (odd) Hollow Hill Road (qv). The scheme was commended in the 1964 Housing Medal Awards. Source: (Architect and Building News 4 July 1947: 9-15; AR CXXXIV (741) October 1958: 229-230; Buildings of England: NorthWest and South Norfolk: 135-136: AAJournal April 1960: Tayler: 176-178; RIBAJournal, October 195=47: 607-609).
Listing NGR: TM3383391252
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings