This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.4697 / 52°28'10"N
Longitude: 1.4445 / 1°26'40"E
OS Eastings: 634051
OS Northings: 291326
OS Grid: TM340913
Mapcode National: GBR XM7.01X
Mapcode Global: VHM6H.0603
Plus Code: 9F43FC9V+VR
Entry Name: 1-9, Windmill Green
Listing Date: 19 November 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1245414
English Heritage Legacy ID: 471703
Location: Ditchingham, South Norfolk, Norfolk, NR35
Civil Parish: Ditchingham
Built-Up Area: Ditchingham
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Ditchingham St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TM 39 SW DITCHINGHAM WINDMILL GREEN
1898/6/10008 Nos. 1-9 (consec)
Terrace of houses, forming a composition around a green with N os 1- 9 and 10-17, and with Nos 12-20 Thwaite Road (qv). Built by the former Loddon Rural District Council, 1947-49, architects Tayler and Green. Two storeys, colourwashed 'wire cut' bricks in varied colours over a black tarred plinth, orange pantile roof, red 'wirecut' chimney stacks with pitched concrete copings and red clay pots. Wide frontage plans, 30-33 feet (9-10 metres) with three and four bedrooms (Nos 10-17) , single or dual aspect according to orientation, with recessed porches and stores creating a through route from front to back without passing through the living rooms, a plan evolved by the architects to overcome the difficulties associated with the traditional 'tunnel' backs of terraces. The Windmill Green housing was the first to break away from the almost universal use of semi-detached types of the pre-war period. Standard steel casement windows, some now replaced with UPVC but with the Saul-division modules of the originals retained. Each house frontage defined by projecting cover panels over the cavity party walls. Nos 18-30 have three-light casements, with wide central panes, on first floor, and on ground floor a full length casement, with central transom at left, a porch with glazed doors and side lights with deep central transoms, with a flat canopy supported on slender steel columns, and a low patterned steel infill panel, with trelliswork at right, running over the ground floor cloakroom window, and a boarded store door, with glazed panel at right. These simple designs, with their elegant proportions and concern for detail marked this scheme out as an exemplar from its inception. The informal layout of the housing blocks around a broad tapering green south of Thwaite Road was seen as a recreation of the best of vernacular design, allied to the social purpose of post-war rural housing. The shared pedestrian/vehicular access to the garage court in the south-west corner of the scheme was an original feature, and required a departure from Ministry housing standards. The scheme was illustrated in the Ministry of Health Housing Manual, 1949, and in 1950 won one of the MOH Housing Medals. While the planning of the individual homes is of interest there are no internal features of merit. Source: (Architect and Building News, 4 July 1947: 9-15; AR CXXIV (741) October 1958: 229-230; Buildings of England: North West and South Norfolk: 135-136; AA Journal, Apri11960: Tayler: 176-178; RIBA Journal, October 1947: 607-609).
Listing NGR: TM3405191326
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings