This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.469 / 52°28'8"N
Longitude: 1.4447 / 1°26'40"E
OS Eastings: 634069
OS Northings: 291250
OS Grid: TM340912
Mapcode National: GBR XM7.038
Mapcode Global: VHM6H.063M
Entry Name: 10-17, Windmill Green
Listing Date: 19 November 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1245415
English Heritage Legacy ID: 471704
Location: Ditchingham, South Norfolk, Norfolk, NR35
District: South Norfolk
Civil Parish: Ditchingham
Built-Up Area: Ditchingham
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Ditchingham St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TM 39 SW DITCHINGHAM WIND MILL GREEN
1898/6/10009 Nos. 10-17 (consec)
Terrace of houses, forming a composition around a green with Nos 1-9 and 18-30, and with Nos 12-20 Thwaite Road (qv). Built by the former Loddon Rural District Council, 1947-49, architects Tayler and Green. Two storeys, colourwashed 'wire cut' bricks in varied colours over a black tarred plinth, orange pantile roof, red 'wirecut' chimney stacks with pitched concrete copings and red clay pots. Wide frontage plans, 30-33 feet (9-10 metres) with three and four bedrooms (Nos 10-17), single or dual aspect according to orientation, with recessed porches and stores creating a through route from front to back without passing through the living rooms, a plan evolved by the architects to overcome the difficulties associated with the traditional 'tunnel' backs of terraces. The Windmill Green housing was the first to break away from the almost universal use of semi-detached types of the pre-war period. Standard steel casement windows, some now replaced with UPVC but with the Saul-division modules of the originals retained. Each house frontage defined by projecting cover panels over the cavity party walls. Nos 10-17 have multiple light steel casement windows, 2:1:4:3 on first floor and 2:4:1 more closely spaced on ground floor. Broad recessed porch, with entrance to left, and store ahead. Light steel railings along front of porch, with trellis panel to left. These simple designs, with their elegant proportions and concern for detail marked this scheme out as an exemplar from its inception. The informal layout of the housing blocks around a broad tapering green south of Thwaite Road was seen as a recreation of the best of vernacular design, allied to the social purpose of post-war rural housing. The shared pedestrian/vehicular access to the garage court in the south-west corner of the scheme was an original feature, and required a departure from Ministry housing standards. The scheme was illustrated in the Ministry of Health Housing Manual, 1949, and in 1950 won one of the MOH Housing Medals. While the planning of the individual houses is of special interest, there are no internal features of special merit. Source: (Architect and Building News, 4 July 1947: 9-15; AR CXXIV (741) October 1958: 229-230; Buildings of England: North West and South Norfolk: 135-136; AA Journal, Apri11960: Tayler: 176-178; RIBA Journal, October 1947: 607-609).
Listing NGR: TM3406991250
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings