This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.9347 / 53°56'5"N
Longitude: -1.1127 / 1°6'45"W
OS Eastings: 458349
OS Northings: 449098
OS Grid: SE583490
Mapcode National: GBR NQNY.W8
Mapcode Global: WHDB4.WC9D
Plus Code: 9C5WWVMP+VW
Entry Name: Aldersyde and Attached Conservatory
Listing Date: 9 February 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1245577
English Heritage Legacy ID: 472971
Location: York, YO24
Electoral Ward/Division: Dringhouses & Woodthorpe
Built-Up Area: York
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Dringhouses St Edward the Confessor
Church of England Diocese: York
SE 54 NE OLD MOOR LANE
Aldersyde and attached
House now flats and attached conservatory. 1895-96, converted mid C20. Designed by A J Penty , of Penty & Penty , for the miller Ernest Leetham. Red brick with ashlar dressings, timber-framed upper floors with rough-cast and brick nogging. C20 concrete tile roofs with tall ornate chimney stacks. 2 storey plus attics. North entrance front has projecting 3 storey porch with deep chamfered plinth and timber-framed ground floor with brick herring-bone nogging. Ground floor has 2-light to north side, 4-light casement to front and doorway to south, with double panel doors in segment arched opening with 4-light overlight topped with fascia board carved with "ALDERSYDE" under wooden hood with copper lantern suspended from bracket above. Above 4-light cross casement and above again 4-light casement. Set back to right 2 small casements to left side remainder of front blank. Set back to right large ashlar 5-light mullion and transom window to main staircase. Beyond ground floor has ashlar mullion window with jettied and timber-framed gable with cross cal
sement. East front has canted 2 storey corner bay window to right, with three 3-light cross casements on both floors, to the left the ground floor has a glazed doorway. To right 3-light cross casement on both floors, beyond again projecting gabled wing with pair of linked ashlar cross casement windows, jettied upper floor with 3-light cross casement and 3-light casement to gable. South front has off-centre projecting gable wing with pair of linked ashlar 3-light cross casements, and above 3-light oriel cross casement with linked flanking 2-light windows, above again jettied gable has 4-light casement. To right set back section with doorway to left and single light casement under remains of timber loggia. Above glazed doorway to left and attached 5-light cross casement. Beyond to right large brick stack with 2 small fire windows in ashlar surrounds on each floor. To left doorway under porch with 3-light cross casement beyond, above 2 cross casements with double dormer window to roof. Ingle storey wing links to gabled conservatory . Conservatory has brick lower walls with 5 x 7 windows above, each window has 3 x 3 panes. Central entrance on east side reached up flight of 5 steps with double glazed doors. Gables to north and south ends. INTERIOR has fine panelled hall with triple arcade to entrance lobby and built-in sideboard, further triple arched arcade to staircase now in-filled with reused panelling. Large and ornate marble fireplace with carved central marble relief Fitted original low sideboard below window. Study beyond also panelled with fitted drawers and cupboards, fine quality wooden fireplace with segment arched ovennantle. Staircase hall has triple arched loggia and stair has turned bulbous balusters with square newels and carved finials. Upper landing has fine coved plaster ceiling and pilaster supports. Corridor to first floor flat has dado panelling and original doors. Main room has deep inglenook fireplace, and bedroom has high quality fitted cupboards, dressing table and bed arch.
Listing NGR: SE5834949098
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings