This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.5536 / 52°33'13"N
Longitude: 1.3983 / 1°23'53"E
OS Eastings: 630475
OS Northings: 300515
OS Grid: TG304005
Mapcode National: GBR WJP.SFJ
Mapcode Global: VHM62.622Q
Plus Code: 9F43H93X+F8
Entry Name: Numbers 14, 15 and 16 and Screen Wall Linking with Numbers 17 and 18
Listing Date: 19 November 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1245759
English Heritage Legacy ID: 472280
Location: Bergh Apton, South Norfolk, Norfolk, NR15
District: South Norfolk
Civil Parish: Bergh Apton
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Bergh Apton St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG 30 SW BERGH APTON CHURCH ROAD
Nos.14, 15 and 16 and
Screen wall linking with
Nos. 17 and 18
Terrace of three houses and attached screen wall built by the former Loddon Rural District Council, 1951, architects Tayler and Green. Two storeys, brick, red on Nos 14 and 15, yellow-grey on No 16, which has a red brick Flemish bond gable end with black headers with date `1956' in yellow brick. Red brick screen wall links to Nos 17 and 18. Orange pantiled roof plain wooden bargeboards, 3 brick chimneystacks with pitched concrete copings and clay pots. Rainwater pipes canted down from eaves gutters without swan-necks. Metal casement windows, some now replaced with upvc, 1 three-light and 1 two-light at first floor; ground floor has twin arched openings - 1 with full length casement window, the other with projecting porch with light steel supports and curved head. Door at right gives through access to garden. Projecting concrete party wall closers define intermediate house frontages. This block faces east to village green, and splayed siting effectively complements the earlier bungalows opposite, with the terrace, Nos 11 and 12 and 13 (qv) forming a visual stop to views southwards. At the south end of the block is an attached run of single storey garages. Together with Nos 11, 12 and 13, and Nos 17 and 18 these formed the second phase of village housing at Bergh Apton. The completed scheme received a Civic Trust Award in 1957 and a Housing Medal in 1961. The scheme is a fine example of these architects' work, exemplary as a sensitive and self-contained extension to an existing community, which uses its woodland setting to great advantage to create a new `village green'.
Listing NGR: TG3047500515
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings