This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4537 / 51°27'13"N
Longitude: -0.2474 / 0°14'50"W
OS Eastings: 521871
OS Northings: 174207
OS Grid: TQ218742
Mapcode National: GBR 9Q.29M
Mapcode Global: VHGR3.NQKF
Plus Code: 9C3XFQ33+F2
Entry Name: Charcot House
Listing Date: 22 December 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1246043
English Heritage Legacy ID: 472041
Location: Wandsworth, London, SW15
Electoral Ward/Division: Roehampton
Built-Up Area: Wandsworth
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Roehampton Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ 21 74 SE WANDSWORTH, LB HIGHCLIFFE DRIVE
(south east side)
1207/19/10054 Charcot House
Block of 75 maisonettes. Designed 1952-3; built 1955-8 by the London County Council's Architect's Department, Colin Lucas Architect in Charge, J A Partridge, W G Howell, J A W Killick, S F Amis, J R Galley and R Stout job architects. W V Zinn and Partners engineers. Reinforced concrete in-situ frame of board-marked concrete now painted, with storey-height prefabricated concrete panels with Dorset shingle and Derbyshire spar exposed aggregate; flat roof.
The plan consists of five tiers each of fifteen maisonettes each a 12' bay, raised on alternating lines of two and three piloti at bay intervals along the ground floor. The nine bays south of the lift shaft are unenclosed. Top of lift shaft and services expressed on roof as geometric shapes. Double-height lift landings, paved. Each maisonette has private balcony facing east, and galllery access from west; the upper three tiers of flats additionally with steel emergency access balconies at bedroom level. Timber windows (original) with open casements and flush timber doors. Each maisonette with kitchen and living room on lower level, two bedrooms and internal, mechanically ventilated bathroom and toilet (a new departure in planning) on upper level; internal fittings not of special interest.
Ramp of board-marked concrete in front of lifts incorporates Corbusian drip mould, much imitated in the most progressive architecture of the time.
The slab blocks devised by this team are inspired by Le Corbusier's Unite d'Habitation in Marseilles, which Howell and others had visited in 1951. The proportions are based on his 'Modulor' and the Fibonacci number sequence.
The expression of each maisonettes as an individual element in the facade marked a new rigour and sophistication in slab design. The placing of the slabs into the side of the hill, a revision made in September 1953, is a powerful and skillful response to their landscape setting in Downshire Field, an C18 landscape much remodelled and enhanced by the team; the steep slope gave purpose to the pilotis; the relationship of the blocks to each other and the landscape is a 'majestic' piece of town planning (Ian Nairn). They are the centrepiece of the Alton West Estate, the LCC's most ambitious post-war development scheme and considered 'probably the finest low-cost housing development in the world' (G E Kidder Smith).
Listing NGR: TQ2187174207
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings