History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Lodge

A Grade II* Listed Building in Summertown, Oxfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.7813 / 51°46'52"N

Longitude: -1.2701 / 1°16'12"W

OS Eastings: 450447

OS Northings: 209436

OS Grid: SP504094

Mapcode National: GBR 7XD.9P9

Mapcode Global: VHCXM.XHX9

Plus Code: 9C3WQPJH+GX

Entry Name: The Lodge

Listing Date: 6 June 2001

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1246138

English Heritage Legacy ID: 487563

Location: Summertown, Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX2

County: Oxfordshire

District: Oxford

Electoral Ward/Division: Summertown

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Oxford

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Summertown St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Tagged with: Gatehouse

Find accommodation in


612/0/10074 WOODSTOCK ROAD
06-JUN-01 (East side)
The Lodge


Villa with service wing. Central square core built c.1830 for Charles Shillingford; remodelled 1862 for Owen Grimbly (of Grimbly Hughes grocery store in Cornmarket) with added verandah and extensions set back to either side, that to south providing new entrance front; billiard room added and service wing substantially rebuilt 1890s. Whitewashed stucco, with ashlar to ground floor of entrance front and cast iron verandah/conservatories to garden; concealed slate roof. Central corridor plan. Classical style. 2-storey building with stucco decoration enriched 1862.
EXTERIOR. Garden Front: 2 c.1830 bays project to centre, retaining original ground-floor detail with chamfered quoins and architrave surrounds to French doors. Upper storey enriched 1862 with panelled pilasters, central panel, and entablature with plain frieze, dentils and deeply moulded cornice. Parapet has raised centrepiece with moulded wreath. Tall paired casements with architrave surrounds and pediments on scroll brackets. Cornice is carried round narrow extensions set back unevenly to either side, each having a first-floor sash with flat hood on scroll brackets, and doors below to symmetrical cast iron conservatories. These conservatories project with canted ends towards the garden, and have double doors to, and are linked by, a verandah with matching canted centre bay, the whole forming a covered passage around the complete front of the house. Whole is arcaded with pierced and moulded arches, trellis spandrels, and slender fluted columns with lily-leaf capitals. Trellis-work parapet. Conservatories are glazed, with slender horizontal glazing bars, above low panels. Renewed glazed roofing. Single-storey billiard room with long roof lantern and canted end is set back to far left.
Entrance Front: first floor is stuccoed, with cornice and 2 sashes to match garden front; ashlar ground floor has channelled rustication, tripartite sash to right, and ashlar doorcase with hood on scroll brackets, carved drops, and carved frieze of oak and beech leaves, dated 1862. Double panelled doors with overlight. Porch leads to original front door and double doors lead to conservatory on left.
Rear has c.1830 single-storey stucco porch with offset cornice and pilasters flanking flush-panelled door with overlight. Brick service wing, part whitewashed, with slate roof and stone lintels over sash windows.
INTERIOR: hallway has encaustic tiles, and stick-baluster staircase with cut scroll string and curving mahogany handrail. 2 garden-front rooms joined to form large drawing room, with original shutters. Plaster ceiling cornices, those to drawing room and hall of c.1830, elaborated dining room cornice of 1862. Marble fireplaces with simple side pilasters and mantel-shelves mostly survive throughout building, including service wing, two with C19 cast iron grates and original tiles. Bathroom has complete 1930s fittings, in green, including panelled bath, shaped pedestal basin and mirror, WC, and tiling scheme (highlight black and gold tiles merely covered by later green ones) with narrow stepped black border to creamy-yellow frieze. Kitchen and scullery arrangements are also of the 1930s, with built-in cupboards, dresser and shelving of the period, metal sink, and compact cast iron range - a Servall Minor 4 - set in the earlier fireplace in a surround of treacle-coloured tiles.
This is a fine little-altered early and mid C19 villa with an outstanding and very rare suite of conservatories and linking verandah, almost certainly intended to provide a key part of the reception circuit.

Listing NGR: SP5044609438

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.