This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.7236 / 53°43'25"N
Longitude: -1.8947 / 1°53'40"W
OS Eastings: 407045
OS Northings: 425250
OS Grid: SE070252
Mapcode National: GBR HT6C.LX
Mapcode Global: WHB8G.VNYR
Plus Code: 9C5WP4F4+C4
Entry Name: Officers Mess to Former Wellesley Barracks
Listing Date: 23 January 2001
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1246202
English Heritage Legacy ID: 487426
Location: Calderdale, HX2
Electoral Ward/Division: Warley
Built-Up Area: Halifax
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Mount Pellon Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE 02 NE GIBBET STREET
23-JAN-01 Officers Mess to former Wellesley Barr
Also Known As: Office at Wellesley Park, GIBBET STREET
Officers' mess, now offices. 1875. Designed by Royal Engineer's architect. Coursed and dressed stone with ashlar dressings. Slate roofs with 5 ridge stacks and a single gable stack, raised coped gables with kneelers. Chamfered plinth and quoins. 2 storey.
Main east fa?ade has very irregular fenestration and Gothic Revival style detailing. Projecting off-centre porch with pointed arches supported on bold circular columns with foliate capitals and a hipped slate roof. Inner doorway has chamfered surround and C20 door. Above are 2 small sash windows. To left a slightly projecting gable with 2 large cross mullion windows on the ground floor and 3 sashes under a single pointed relieving arch above, beyond a single storey projecting wing with canted bay front with cross mullion windows. To right single sash, then a pair of sashes on both floors, beyond a slightly projecting gable with 3 sashes below and 2 sashes above. Another pair of sashes then a single sash on both floors with slightly projecting gable end with 3 sashes below and 3 tall narrow sashes above under a Gothic relieving arch.
Small gabled porch projects from right return with moulded doorway under segment head.
This barracks complex was opened in 1877 as the recruitment and infantry training depot for the Duke of Wellington's (West Yorkshire) Regiment, known as the 'Dukes'.
Listing NGR: SE0704125242
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings