History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Perimeter Wall and Gates to Former Wellesley Barracks

A Grade II Listed Building in Halifax, Calderdale

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7229 / 53°43'22"N

Longitude: -1.8937 / 1°53'37"W

OS Eastings: 407111

OS Northings: 425169

OS Grid: SE071251

Mapcode National: GBR HT6D.T5

Mapcode Global: WHB8G.WPDB

Entry Name: Perimeter Wall and Gates to Former Wellesley Barracks

Listing Date: 23 January 2001

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1246204

English Heritage Legacy ID: 487428

Location: Calderdale, HX2

County: Calderdale

Electoral Ward/Division: Warley

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Halifax

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Mount Pellon Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Halifax

Description


SE 02 NE
679/4/10289
23-JAN-01

GIBBET STREET
(North side)
Perimeter Wall and Gates to former Wellesley Barracks

GV
II

Also Known As:
Perimeter Wall and Gates to former Wellesley Barracks,
DICKEN'S STREET

Wall and gates. 1875. Designed by Royal Engineer's architect. Coursed and dressed stone with ashlar dressings.
Gibbet Street section has central main gate flanked on either side by half-octagonal sentry boxes. These boxes have a chamfered plinth, a single gun slit to each face and a moulded ashlar coping. Inner faces have steps up to platform. To east of main gate original 3 metre high wall with rounded ashlar coping stretches approximately 20 metres east. To west original wall stretches to corner of Dicken's Street, half way along a small gateway with shouldered arch and steel bared gate. Wall curves slightly and follows the rise of the land.
Wall continues along Dicken's Street, with small C20 door inserted close to north corner. Central section projects with 3 gun slits and side walls have 2 gun slits.
This barracks complex was opened in 1877 as the recruitment and infantry training depot for the Duke of Wellington's (West Yorkshire) Regiment, known as the 'Dukes'.

Listing NGR: SE0711125169

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.