History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Co's House at Wellesley Barracks

A Grade II Listed Building in Halifax, Calderdale

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.724 / 53°43'26"N

Longitude: -1.8946 / 1°53'40"W

OS Eastings: 407049

OS Northings: 425289

OS Grid: SE070252

Mapcode National: GBR HT6C.MS

Mapcode Global: WHB8G.VNZH

Entry Name: Co's House at Wellesley Barracks

Listing Date: 23 January 2001

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1246203

English Heritage Legacy ID: 487427

Location: Calderdale, HX2

County: Calderdale

Electoral Ward/Division: Warley

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Halifax

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Mount Pellon Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Sowerby Bridge

Listing Text

HALIFAX

SE 02 NE GIBBET STREET
679/4/10288 (North,off)
23-JAN-01 CO's House at Wellesley Barracks

GV II

Also Known As: Office at Wellesley Park, GIBBET STREET

Commanding Officer's House, now office. 1875. Designed by Royal Engineer's architect. Coursed and dressed stone with ashlar dressings. Slate roofs with raised and coped gables with kneelers. 2 tall external chimney stacks. Quoins and plinth. 2 storey.
Main west front has central doorway with glazed panel door and wooden hood with segmental leaded top supported on wooden brackets. Above is a single window. Gabled wing to right projects slightly. Either side are pairs of plain sashes with segment heads, and above pairs of similar sashes.
This barracks complex was opened in 1877 as the recruitment and infantry training depot for the Duke of Wellington's (West Yorkshire) Regiment, known as the 'Dukes'.


Listing NGR: SE0704925290

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

SE 02 NE
679/4/10288
23-JAN-01

HALIFAX
GIBBET STREET
(North,off)
CO's House at Wellesley Barracks

GV
II

Also Known As: Office at Wellesley Park, GIBBET STREET

Commanding Officer's House, now office. 1875. Designed by Royal Engineer's architect. Coursed and dressed stone with ashlar dressings. Slate roofs with raised and coped gables with kneelers. 2 tall external chimney stacks. Quoins and plinth. 2 storey.
Main west front has central doorway with glazed panel door and wooden hood with segmental leaded top supported on wooden brackets. Above is a single window. Gabled wing to right projects slightly. Either side are pairs of plain sashes with segment heads, and above pairs of similar sashes.
This barracks complex was opened in 1877 as the recruitment and infantry training depot for the Duke of Wellington's (West Yorkshire) Regiment, known as the 'Dukes'.

Listing NGR: SE0704925289

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.