History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Midland Railway Station

A Grade II* Listed Building in Nottingham, City of Nottingham

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9472 / 52°56'49"N

Longitude: -1.1465 / 1°8'47"W

OS Eastings: 457445

OS Northings: 339204

OS Grid: SK574392

Mapcode National: GBR LPR.XN

Mapcode Global: WHDGZ.C58Z

Plus Code: 9C4WWVW3+V9

Entry Name: Midland Railway Station

Listing Date: 12 July 1972

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1271301

English Heritage Legacy ID: 454892

Location: Nottingham, NG2

County: City of Nottingham

Electoral Ward/Division: Bridge

Built-Up Area: Nottingham

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Nottingham St George with St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
Nottingham

Listing Text

The following building:


NOTTINGHAM

SK5739SW CARRINGTON STREET
646-1/23/87 (East Side)
12-JUL-1972 MIDLAND RAILWAY STATION

GV II


Shall be upgraded to:

NOTTINGHAM

646-1/23/87 CARRINGTON STREET
12-JUL-72 (East side)
MIDLAND RAILWAY STATION

GV II*


Railway station. 1904. By AE Lambert and Charles Trubshaw for the Midland Railway Company. Constructed of a mixture of red brick, terracotta and faience (glazed terracotta) with slate and glazed pitch roofs over the main buildings. Neo-Baroque style.

PLAN: frontage forming porte-cochere, booking hall and offices, platform buildings, overbridges, Transport Police offices. Main frontage and booking hall span the tracks, and are linked to the platforms by stairs and lifts. Covered overbridges and stairs link the platforms.

EXTERIOR: frontage has plinth, dentillated cornice, balustrade, rusticated columns, windows with cornices or pediments in Gibbs surrounds, pedimented doorways. carriage entrances have good Art Nouveau wrought-iron gates. Symmetrical front, single storey, 9 bays, has central domed clock tower, 2 stages, with paired Tuscan columns and pedimented windows. Round-arched doorway flanked by single windows, then elliptical arched carriage entrances with enriched pediments. Beyond, bays with 3 windows, then further carriage entrances with flat gables. End bays with a window to left and door to right.
Returns have pedimented carriage entrances flanked by round arches. Right return has an attached boundary railing with square gate piers. Porte cochere has glazed iron truss roof. To right, police office, domestic style, 2 storeys, L-plan.
Attached to its left return, a cabmens' shelter, wooden, with extensive glazing and lean-to tile roof. Towards the rear of the station complex, fronting Station Street, is Forward House, which is the former parcels office.

The outside of the booking hall has polychrome bands and similar Baroque detail. 3 round-arched openings flanked by doorways, then by wider arched openings. Above, 5 round windows.

INTERIOR: the booking hall has glazed tiles, paired Doric pilasters, round-arched openings and round windows. Coffered ceiling with central glazed barrel vault. Diocletian end windows.
At the rear, a covered footway spanning the tracks, with a staircase and lift tower at each end.
Platforms 1-5 have mainly single storey buildings with Baroque detailing and round-arched openings with fanlights. 2 storey block, 10 bays, on platform 2/3. Continuous canopies with renewed sheet steel roofs and wooden valances, carried on riveted lattice girders and cantilever brackets. Riveted steel stanchions with cast-iron bases. Footbridge spanning platforms and tracks, with glazed cross-braced structure and roof. Platform buildings retain most of their original detail. The interior of the buffet on platform 4/5 has original terracotta
ornament, painted over, including pilasters, chimneypiece and
coved ceiling.

HISTORY: The third Midland Station to have been built in Nottingham. Built in response to the challenge made by the Great Central Railway and the facilities provided by its grand Victoria Statiion which opened in 1861 (now demolished). Having cost approximately £1M, the station was opended in to the public on 17 January 1904, although final completion not reached until later in that year.

SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE

This is an important and outstanding complex of railway station buildings and structures. The station has survived exceptionally well. The high quality of its Neo-Baroque architectutre, rare among English railway stations, and the importance of the American influence on its design, the first to exhibit this, add extra significance and make it of outstanding national importance.

The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London:
1979-: 247

Nottingham Railway Station. An Architectural Assessment: Minnis J: May 2005. Unpublished


Listing NGR: SK5744539204

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.