This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.7142 / 52°42'50"N
Longitude: -2.7433 / 2°44'35"W
OS Eastings: 349886
OS Northings: 313203
OS Grid: SJ498132
Mapcode National: GBR BJ.25B9
Mapcode Global: WH8BT.T1WL
Plus Code: 9C4VP774+MM
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 30 April 2001
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1246336
English Heritage Legacy ID: 487314
Location: Shrewsbury, Shropshire, SY1
Civil Parish: Shrewsbury
Built-Up Area: Shrewsbury
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Shrewsbury All Saints and St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ41SE NORTH STREET
653-1/4/10022 CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
Parish church and attached railing. 1875-79, by Edward Haycock of Shrewsbury. Random rubble and brick, with ashlar dressings and plain tile roofs. Early Decorated style. Plinth, quoins, sill band, buttresses, clerestorey impost band, coped gables with crosses. Chancel, north chapel, vestry, organ chamber, nave with aisles. Windows of various forms, with hood moulds.
Chancel, 2 bays, is masked on south side by vestry and organ chamber. East end has 5-light pointed arched window with tracery. North side has similar 2-light window.
Vestry, intended as tower base, has lean-to roof. East end has 2-light mullioned window with cusped heads. Bell on bracket above. South side has chamfered shouldered doorway, and to right single lights with cusped heads to the stair.
Organ chamber has gable to south, with 2-light pointed arched window with cusped heads, and stack to left of gable.
North chapel has flat-headed windows, that to east single-light, two to north, 2 lights, with mullions.
Nave, 5 bays, has on each side clerestorey windows, 3 single light pointed arched windows with cusped heads alternating with 2 traceried round windows. West end has 2 tall single light pointed arched windows with cusped heads, and above, a round window, deeply recessed, with plate tracery.
South aisle, 5 bays, has to west a doorway with fillet moulding set in a projecting gable. To east, four 3-light pointed arched windows with tracery. West end has a single light pointed arched window. North aisle has four similar 3-light windows. To west, a porch under a continuous roof, with a flat headed 3-light window to north, with tracery in the central light. West end has a fillet moulded pointed arched doorway, and above it, a traceried roundel.
INTERIOR: Exposed rubble, with ashlar dressings. Chancel has polychrome pointed arch with roll and fillet mouldings, hood mould, and imposts with Pennant stone shafts. Arch braced roof with collars, struts and ashlar pieces. Wrought iron screen with chamfered ashlar plinth and central gates. North side has arcade, 2 bays, with moulded pointed arches and hood moulds, and octagonal responds. Quatrefoil central pier, Pennant stone, and responds, have square foliage capitals. To east, 2-light window. East window has chamfered surround and hood mould, and stained glass 1892 and 1902. Wooden altar rail dated 1964, on wrought iron supports. Traceried panelled wooden reredos. South side has piscina and double sedilia with pointed arches. Double chamfered pointed arch with octagonal responds and foliage capitals, containing organ.
Nave arcades, 4 bays to south and 4 to north, have alternating octagonal and round Pennant stone piers with moulded capitals and bases, and double chamfered arches with hood moulds. Complex roof structure with wall shafts and arch braces on corbels, and scissor trusses with struts. Triple purlins with wind braces. West end has double stall for churchwardens, and plain glass windows.
Aisles have double purlin lean-to roofs with collars and wind braces. South aisle has chamfered pointed arch to east, with traceried panelled wooden reredos. South side has stained glass windows 1940, 1893, c1920 and 1927. Baptistry at west end has wall panelling dated 1934, and stained glass west window, 1881. North aisle has stained glass dated 1887, c1880, c1885 probably by Kempe, and 1901. East end has chamfered pointed arch with traceried wooden screen and door to chapel, c1921. West porch has traceried glazed screen and doors.
Chapel, converted from vestry c1921, has traceried framed panelling and reredos. C19 stained glass to east window. Vestry has Gothic style corner fireplace.
Fittings include traceried octagonal ashlar font with clustered marble shafts, traceried octagonal ashlar pulpit on bracket, with steps, and C19 bras lectern with tripod stand. Memorials include alabaster war memorial panel with enriched Classical surround, 1918, and several brasses, late C19 and early C20.
OUTSIDE: Wrought iron spearhead railing along the north side, C19, with gate in return at west end.
Listing NGR: SJ4988613203
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings