This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.7081 / 52°42'29"N
Longitude: -2.7441 / 2°44'38"W
OS Eastings: 349822
OS Northings: 312531
OS Grid: SJ498125
Mapcode National: GBR BJ.2K3P
Mapcode Global: WH8BT.T6G7
Plus Code: 9C4VP754+69
Entry Name: Hospital of the Holy Cross, boundary wall and gate piers
Listing Date: 10 January 1953
Last Amended: 17 November 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1246431
English Heritage Legacy ID: 455064
Location: Shrewsbury, Shropshire, SY2
Civil Parish: Shrewsbury
Built-Up Area: Shrewsbury
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Shrewsbury Holy Cross
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ 4912 NE
ABBEY FOREGATE (north side),
Hospital of the Holy Cross, boundary wall and gate piers
(Formerly Listed as: ABBEY FOREGATE (North side) Hospital of the Holy Cross)
Hospital or almshouses. Buildings dated 1853, but an earlier foundation. Pountney Smith. Coursed and squared red sandstone rubble with plain tiled roofs. Two ranges at right angles to each other in domestic Gothic style.
EXTERIOR: left-hand range comprises two units. Two storeys, two-window range with two wide slightly advanced gables linked by projecting doorcases. Paired moulded four-centred arched doorways in centre of elevation, with mullioned windows of two and three round-headed lights each side, two-light mullioned windows above, all with hoodmoulds. Lancet lights over the doorways. In gable facing the street, two-light mullioned window with drop-ended hoodmould over and corbelled oriel above, with paired traceried mullions and leaded lights. Coped gables with finials. Rear and axial stacks with barleycorn decoration and cusped caps.
Wall with archway links this block to range parallel to street. This range is also two storeys, three-window range with central advanced gable with three-light traceried mullioned bay window to ground floor with date and coat of arms in parapet. Oriel window above, with traceried mullions and embattled parapet. Arcade of three bays each side of this central gable forming porches. Doors within the porches flanked by single and two-light mullioned windows. Paired upper mullioned windows set beneath small gables. Gable and axial stacks, and a side wall stack on front gable, all highly enriched with barleycorn decoration, and with cusped caps.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: adjoining the right-angled range, a low stone boundary wall with wrought-iron railings and central gateway. Four-centred archway in buttressed stepped surround with raking copings and cross finial. Wrought-iron gates. Wall and railings link to higher stretch of stone wall with raking copings to right.
Listing NGR: SJ4982112533
Other nearby listed buildings