This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.4016 / 53°24'5"N
Longitude: -1.498 / 1°29'52"W
OS Eastings: 433471
OS Northings: 389536
OS Grid: SK334895
Mapcode National: GBR 99B.9F
Mapcode Global: WHCCB.YRTM
Plus Code: 9C5WCG22+JQ
Entry Name: Hospital and Area Railing to Former Hillsborougfh Barracks
Listing Date: 12 December 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1246505
English Heritage Legacy ID: 455299
Location: Hillsborough, Sheffield, S6
Electoral Ward/Division: Hillsborough
Built-Up Area: Sheffield
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Owlerton St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK 38 NW SHEFFIELD LANGSETT ROAD
(North East side)
Hospital and area railing to
former Hillsborough Barracks
Barrack hospital, now flats, and attached area railing. 1848-54, with early C20 additions, used as industrial workshops mid C20, converted 1990. Coursed squared stone with ashlar dressings and hipped slate roofs. EXTERIOR: Plinth, first floor band, half-round eaves, coped parapets. 2 storeys plus basement; 16 window range. Windows are glazing bar sashes. Recessed centre has 2 windows on each floor. On either side, slightly projecting blocks, 5 windows, and below, central pointed arched double doors with steps, keystones and fanlights, flanked by 2 windows. Left block has the 2 windows to the left of the door replaced by a mid C20 sliding garage door. Outer bays have 2 windows on each floor. Basement has 9-pane sashes divided by cross walls. At the rear, two 3-storey projections flanked by external stairs, and linked by a cast-iron gallery and verandah with early C20 additions. Trefoil-pierced crest linking the tops of the cast-iron posts. INTERIOR: Not inspected. SUBSIDIARY FEA TURES: Outside, cast-iron spearhead area railing. HISTORY : Hillsborough was built in response to anxiety over civil unrest. Planned according to reformed ideas preceeding the Crimean War, and one of the first barracks to use a historicist, castellated style following those at the Tower of London (1845). Despite conversion, much of the original site survives, including officers' quarters, barracks, stables and riding school, magazine and guard house (qqv). (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Yorkshire: The West Riding: London.: 1967-: 472; Skeleton record plan of ground floor: 1907-1923).
Listing NGR: SK3347189536
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings