This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.4016 / 53°24'5"N
Longitude: -1.4974 / 1°29'50"W
OS Eastings: 433515
OS Northings: 389537
OS Grid: SK335895
Mapcode National: GBR 99B.GF
Mapcode Global: WHCCB.ZR4M
Plus Code: 9C5WCG23+J3
Entry Name: North West Barrack Block to Former Hillsborough Barracks
Listing Date: 12 December 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1246523
English Heritage Legacy ID: 455338
Location: Hillsborough, Sheffield, S6
Electoral Ward/Division: Hillsborough
Built-Up Area: Sheffield
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Owlerton St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK 38 NW SHEFFIELD LANGSETT ROAD
(North East side)
North-west barrack block to
12.12.1995 former Hillsborough Barracks
Barrack block, now flats. 1848-54, used as industrial workshops mid C20, converted 1990. Coursed squared stone with ashlar dressings and hipped slate roofs with 7 ridge stacks. PLAN: 4 five-window barrack rooms to each floor. EXTERIOR: Plinth, first-floor band, coped parapets. 2 storeys; 20 window range. Windows are glazing bar sashes. Slightly projecting central block, 10 windows, flanked by 5 windows. Below, 4 sashes flanked by doors. Beyond, 4 windows, then single doors, then 2 windows. Panelled and double leaved doors with blank fanlights. Rear has similar fenestration with loft doors above the ground floor doors, some of them blocked, and an off-centre mid C20 addition. INTERIOR: Not inspected. HISTORY: Hillsborough was built in response to anxiety over civil unrest. One of the first barracks planned with reformed ideas preceeding the Crimean War , and an early example of historicist architecture applied to this building type. Despite conversion, much of the original site survives, including officers' quarters and institute, hospital, magazine, stables and riding school, and guard house (qqv). (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Yorkshire: The West Riding: London: 1967 -: 472; Skeleton record plan of ground floor: 1907 -1923).
Listing NGR: SK3351589537
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings