History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

South East Barrack Block to Former Hillsborough Barracks

A Grade II Listed Building in Hillsborough, Sheffield

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4008 / 53°24'2"N

Longitude: -1.4951 / 1°29'42"W

OS Eastings: 433669

OS Northings: 389449

OS Grid: SK336894

Mapcode National: GBR 99B.YQ

Mapcode Global: WHDDH.0SB7

Entry Name: South East Barrack Block to Former Hillsborough Barracks

Listing Date: 12 December 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1271311

English Heritage Legacy ID: 455341

Location: Sheffield, S6

County: Sheffield

Electoral Ward/Division: Hillsborough

Built-Up Area: Sheffield

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Owlerton St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Sheffield

Find accommodation in
Walkley

Listing Text

SK 38 NW SHEFFIELD LANGSETT ROAD
(North East side)
784-1/5/470
South-east barrack block to
former Hillsborough Barracks
12.12.95

GV II


Barrack block, now flats. 1848-54, used as industrial workshops mid C20, converted 1990. Coursed squared stone with ashlar dressings and hipped slate roofs with 7 ridge stacks. EXTERIOR: Plinth, first floor band, coped parapets. 2 storeys; 20 window range. Windows are glazing bar sashes, mainly renewed. Slightly projecting central block, 10 windows, flanked by 5 windows. Below, 4 sashes flanked by doors. Beyond, 4 windows, then single doors, then 2 windows. Doors are double leaved, with blank fanlights. Rear has similar fenestration with loft doors above the ground floor doors. INTERIOR: N ot inspected. HISTOR y : Hi11sborough was built in response to anxiety over civil unrest. One of the first barracks planned with the reformed ideas on military accommodation preceeding the Crimean War. Also one of the first instances of historicist, castellated barrack style, following the Tower of London barracks (1845). Despite conversion, much of the original site survives, including officers' quarters, hospital, stables and riding school, magazine and guard house (qqv). (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Yorkshire: The West Riding: London: 1967-: 472; Skeleton record plan of ground floor: 1907-1923).

Listing NGR: SK3366989449

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.