This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.4007 / 53°24'2"N
Longitude: -1.4967 / 1°29'48"W
OS Eastings: 433560
OS Northings: 389437
OS Grid: SK335894
Mapcode National: GBR 99B.LR
Mapcode Global: WHCCB.ZSGB
Plus Code: 9C5WCG23+78
Entry Name: Officers Mess and Regimental Institute to Former Hillsborough Barracks
Listing Date: 28 June 1973
Last Amended: 12 December 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1246524
English Heritage Legacy ID: 455339
Location: Hillsborough, Sheffield, S6
Electoral Ward/Division: Hillsborough
Built-Up Area: Sheffield
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Owlerton St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK 38 NW SHEFFIELD LANGSETT ROAD
(North East side)
Officers' Mess & regimental
28.06.1973 institute to former
Officers' mess and regimental institute, now offices and stores, and attached boundary wall and railing. 1848-54. Used during mid C20 as industrial workshops and converted c1988 to supermarket. Coursed squared stone with ashlar dressings and slate roofs with 7 ridge and 2 side wall coped stone stacks. Castellated Gothic Revival style. EXTERIOR: Chamfered plinth, half-round moulded eaves, coped parapet. 3 storeys; 25 window range. Windows are mainly tripartite glazing bar sashes. Ground floor windows are mainly Tudor arched triple lancets with glazing bars and Gothic tracery and hoodmoulds. Second floor windows are mainly tripartite glazing bar sashes with label moulds. Third floor windows are mainly smaller tripartite sashes without ornament. 3 window central block flanked by canted crenellated towers with machicolations. In the centre, a canted oriel window with crenellated parapet and 2-light mullioned window with flanking lights. On either side, a window and above, 3 smaller windows. In the centre, a moulded 4-centred arched carriage opening with double board doors and hoodmould. On either side, a window with hoodmould. Flanking towers have three 12 pane sashes with label moulds on the lower floors, and smaller 9 pane sashes above. Beyond, on either side, 2 storey copedlinks with a 4-light cross mullioned window on the first floor and a 12 pane sash with label mould below. Beyond, slightly projecting blocks, 2 windows, with, on the first floor, a tripartite sash and a 12 pane sash, both with label moulds, and above, a 4-light mullioned window and a 9 pane sash. Below, a triple lancet and a 12 pane sash with pointed head and hoodmould. Beyond again, wings, 7 windows, with regular fenestration, the 2 end windows slightly set back. Rear elevation has central block with octagonal corner towers and central carriage entrance. Flanking blocks have regular fenestration, with round arched openings to ground floor. At the left end, a single storey service building, with coped gables and a gable stack. Street front has 3 plain flat headed windows. Rear has off-centre gable with 2 tall glazing bar windows flanked by a smaller similar window t~ left and a board door to right. T o right again, a single storey building with 2 windows. Adjoining regimental institute, Gothick style, has buttresses, 2 setoffs, topped with pinnacles, coped parapet, and gables with finials. Street side has six 2-light pointed arch windows with y -tracery and hoodmoulds. Right end has a similar 3-light window. Left end has a buttressed gabled porch with pinnacles to gable and buttresses, and central pointed door . Inner side has inserted off-centre double door with billeted lintel inscribed "Institute", and mullioned overlight. To its left, two 2-1ight pointed arch windows double lancets, and to right, 3 similar windows. Outside, in front of the main block, 2 convex curved boundary walls with moulded ashlar coping. T o the right, a 50m length of spearhead cast-iron railing with posts topped with pine cones. HISTORY: Built in response to anxiety over civil unrest, though not a defensible barracks like Fulwood, Preston (qv). One of the first barracks planned with the reformed ideas on military accommodation developing before the Crimean War, to include schools and institutes. Also one of the earliest instances of an historicist, castellated style applied to barracks, following its contextual use in the Tower of London (1845). Despite conversion, much of the original site survives including, barracks, stables, riding school, magazine and guard house (qqv). (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Yorkshire: The West Riding: London: 1967-: 471 ; Skeleton record plan of ground floor: 1907 -1923; SA VE Britain's Heritage: Deserted Bastions, Historic Naval and Military Architecture: London: 1993-: 240).
Listing NGR: SK3356089437
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings