This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.3817 / 53°22'54"N
Longitude: -1.467 / 1°28'1"W
OS Eastings: 435550
OS Northings: 387340
OS Grid: SK355873
Mapcode National: GBR 9JK.0K
Mapcode Global: WHDDP.F8NB
Entry Name: Victoria Hall Methodist Church, Meeting Rooms and Area Railing
Listing Date: 28 June 1973
Last Amended: 12 December 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1246792
English Heritage Legacy ID: 455754
Location: Sheffield, S1
Electoral Ward/Division: City
Built-Up Area: Sheffield
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Sheffield
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK3587SE NORFOLK STREET
784-1/25/549 (North West side)
28/06/73 Victoria Hall Methodist Church,
meeting rooms and area railing
(Formerly Listed as:
Methodist church, adjoining meeting rooms and area railing.
1906-08. Won in competition by Waddington, Son & Dunkerley of
Manchester; modified and completed by WJ Hale. Remodelled
c1960. Red brick and ashlar, with ashlar dressing and hipped
and gabled slate and glazed roofs. Arts and Crafts style.
EXTERIOR: plinth, quoins string courses and eaves cornice.
Main body with vestries, meeting rooms and south-west tower.
Windows are mainly mullioned and cross mullioned, all with
leaded glazing. West end has projecting central feature with
large panelled flanking pilasters with wreaths, rising through
a dentilled cornice and topped with corniced dies. Coped gable
with projecting central feature with segmental pediment
containing crest. 3 tall round-arched 2-light windows with
tracery, separated by Ionic pilasters. At the foot of the
windows, a blind arcade, which continues as the parapet of a
small balcony to left. To left, a corridor with 2 single light
windows. To right, a tall projection with a single window.
Below, rusticated ground floor with triple entrance under
canopy, 1966, flanked to left by a showcase and to right by 2
single light windows.
Right return, to George Street, has in the centre a single
storey section above a basement, 4 bays. Full height flying
buttresses also forming the piers to the area railing at
ground level. 4 moulded round-arched windows, 3 lights.
Basement has 4 plain round arches and area lined with glazed
To left, a hipped block, 2 storeys plus attics; 2 window
range. 2 large flat-headed 3-light windows with central
round-headed blank panels. Left return has a tall round-headed
2-light window. Attic has two 3-light mullioned windows.
Ground floor has a 2-light mullioned window and a C20 steel
To right, a projecting square porch, 3 storeys; 3 window
range. Two 2-light mullioned windows with sillband, and above,
a central single light window flanked by two 2-light ones.
Below, to left, 3 flat-headed barred windows. To right, an
entrance with multiple recessed doors, heavy multi-keystone
lintel and above it, a Diocletian window.
Left return, to Chapel Walk, has a 2-storey central section, 4
bays, with parapet. Four 3-light mullioned windows and below,
a round-arched arcade with late C20 shopfronts and reglazed
overlights. To left, a gable with a 4-light window and below,
a late C20 chamfered entrance with sidelight.
To left, a 3-storey block; 6 window range. To left, 4
Diocletian windows. To their right, a transomed window, then a
canted stone oriel window, 5 lights. Above, 6 cross mullioned
windows, 2 and 3 lights. Below, late C20 shopfronts. To right,
a double gable with two 2-light round-headed windows and
below, a single light window flanked by single 2-light
mullioned windows, all with flat heads.
South-west tower, 4 stages, has string courses and cornice.
Lower 2 stages are canted, upper stages have double rebated
angles. Ground level has to south and west, a round-headed
single light window and between them, a flat-headed window,
with linked impost and lintel band. Second stage has to south
and west one cross casement above another, the upper ones
round-headed. Third stage has a very narrow slit window on
each side. Bell stage, to Hale's design, has a projection on
each side with enriched incurving cheeks, and between them a
round-headed bell opening with round head and heavily
rusticated keystones. The tower is topped with a domed
octagonal lantern with 4 openings.
INTERIOR: main body has 5 bay round-arched arcades with square
piers and wreaths in the spandrels, carrying a moulded and
enriched aisle plate on scroll brackets. Segmental arched
glazed panelled roof with patterned stained glass and wreathed
medallions at the springing of the main ribs. East end has
moulded segmental arch with screen, 1966. West end has gallery
with coffered ceiling. Aisles are screened off to form side
rooms. Fittings all 1966.
WJ Hale, 1862-1929, designed a number of noteworthy schools
and Nonconformist churches in Sheffield between 1893 and 1929.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Yorkshire: The West
Riding: London: 1967-: 453; Researches by G Hague, Sheffield
Listing NGR: SK3555087340
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings