This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.3916 / 53°23'29"N
Longitude: -1.4994 / 1°29'57"W
OS Eastings: 433391
OS Northings: 388419
OS Grid: SK333884
Mapcode National: GBR 99G.10
Mapcode Global: WHCCJ.Y06S
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 28 June 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1270449
English Heritage Legacy ID: 458821
Location: Sheffield, S6
Electoral Ward/Division: Walkley
Built-Up Area: Sheffield
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Walkley St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK38NW HOWARD ROAD
784-1/5/443 (North West side)
28/06/73 Church of St Mary
Parish church. 1869 with addition, 1928. By JG Weightman.
Rock-faced stone with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. Gothic
PLAN: chancel, north transept, nave with clerestory and
aisles, south-west tower with spire.
EXTERIOR: chamfered plinth, corbelled eaves, coped gables,
north and south gables with crosses, buttresses. Chancel east
gable has angle buttresses and a 4-light pointed arch window
with Geometrical tracery and hoodmould. South side has a
double lancet. Transept has a double lancet to east and a
Decorated 3-light pointed arch window in the gable. Door in
Nave clerestory has 6 quatrefoil and trefoil windows on each
side. West gable has a 4-light pointed arch window and 7 small
single lancets below. To right, 2 storey addition, 1928.
South aisle has six 2-light pointed arch windows. North aisle
and baptistry has 7 similar windows and a single lancet to
South-west tower, 3 stages, has angle buttresses and string
courses. To north, chamfered and moulded doorway with
traceried gable and finial. To west, a single lancet and to
its right a canted stair turret with a door and a single
lancet above it. Second stage has a triangular window over the
door and a single lancet to east and west. Panelled bell stage
has a single squat pointed traceried opening on each side with
a clock above them. Octagonal broach spire with 2 tiers of
gabled lucarnes on alternate faces.
INTERIOR: has double chamfered chancel arch. Chancel has
sillband, and double chamfered arch to transept. Roof similar
to nave. Nave has 6 bay arcades with double chamfered arches
with alternating round and octagonal piers. Common rafter roof
with strutted collars. West end has gallery with organ case
each side. Transept has C20 glazed screens. North aisle has
segmental pointed west door and east arch. South aisle has
blind arcaded baptistry at east end.
FITTINGS include 2 late C19 windows by Kayll of Leeds and
another late C19 window. C19 D-shaped traceried stone pulpit,
octagonal font with C20 cover, triple shaft brass lectern and
Perpendicular style wooden reredos. Traceried panelled stalls.
2 wooden war memorial tablets.
(Researches by G Hague, Sheffield City Council).
Listing NGR: SK3339188419
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings