This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9508 / 52°57'2"N
Longitude: -1.1532 / 1°9'11"W
OS Eastings: 456990
OS Northings: 339601
OS Grid: SK569396
Mapcode National: GBR LNQ.FC
Mapcode Global: WHDGZ.8336
Plus Code: 9C4WXR2W+8P
Entry Name: Mortimer House the Old Castle Inn
Listing Date: 12 July 1972
Last Amended: 30 November 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1246812
English Heritage Legacy ID: 455778
Location: Nottingham, NG1
County: City of Nottingham
Electoral Ward/Division: Radford and Park
Built-Up Area: Nottingham
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Nottingham St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
SK5639NE CASTLE ROAD
646-1/19/118 (East side)
12/07/72 Nos.1, 3, 5, 5A, 7 and 7A Mortimer
House and The Old Castle Inn
(Formerly Listed as:
Nos.1, 3, 5, 5A, 7 and 7A)
(Formerly Listed as:
Nos.75 AND 77)
Includes: Nos.75 AND 77 HOUNDS GATE.
Public house, cafe, shops and offices. 1883. By Watson
Fothergill. Altered late C20. Red brick, with ashlar and blue
brick dressings and gabled and hipped plain tile roofs.
Various stylized stacks. Domestic Revival style.
EXTERIOR: 2 and 3 storeys plus attics; 14 x 5 windows. Windows
are mainly wooden framed cross casements with segmental heads.
In the centre, 2 blocks, 2:2:3 windows, with a staggered
roofline and prominent ridge, gable and front wall stacks. To
left, a hipped dormer. Below, a double doorway with tiled
canopy, flanked by 3-light windows. To right, a late C20
shopfront with French windows. At each end, a facing gable,
the higher left gable with a timber-framed oriel window on the
first floor. Right gable has 2 first floor windows, and single
windows above and below.
Beyond, to right, a rounded corner with 2 windows under a
parapet, and above, set back, a short round turret with a
hipped dormer window and a conical roof. Below, an original
shopfront with cross mullioned window and cast-iron columns.
Public house, at the left corner, has an angled corner
entrance bay, flanked on each return by a cross mullioned shop
window. Above, a timber-framed oriel window on wooden arch
brackets. To right, a square tower, 4 stages, with 2 large
side wall stacks, and a hipped roof topped with a weather
vane. On the ground floor, a pointed arched doorway.
Left return, to Houndsgate, has regular fenestration and a
projecting side wall stack.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London:
1979-: 236; Get to know Nottingham: Brand K: Watson
Fothergill, Architect: Nottingham: 1987-: 8).
Listing NGR: SK5699039601
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings