This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.7095 / 52°42'34"N
Longitude: -2.7501 / 2°45'0"W
OS Eastings: 349419
OS Northings: 312694
OS Grid: SJ494126
Mapcode National: GBR BJ.29NQ
Mapcode Global: WH8BT.Q5M4
Entry Name: 1 and 2, Council House Courtyard
Listing Date: 10 January 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1247196
English Heritage Legacy ID: 456412
Location: Shrewsbury, Shropshire, SY1
Civil Parish: Shrewsbury
Built-Up Area: Shrewsbury
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Shrewsbury St Chad
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ4912NW COUNCIL HOUSE COURTYARD
653-1/11/250 (South East side)
10/01/53 Nos.1 AND 2
Pair of houses. c1700, with substantial elements of an earlier
structure visible in No.1. Brick with Welsh slate roof.
3 storeys, 6-window range to courtyard elevation. Each house
of 3 bays, but differently planned: No.1 has central entrance
with 6-panelled door in pedimented architrave with Corinthian
fluted pilasters. No.2 has entrance to left with 6-panelled
door with overlight in moulded architrave with console
brackets to canopy. Windows are flush-framed 12-pane sashes
with moulded sills and flat arched gauged brick heads. Blank
recessed panels over windows in parapet. Stone angle quoins.
Rear elevation to garden of 3 storeys and 11 bays, with curved
gable ends and long parapet concealing roofline. Side
elevation of No.2 is largely an earlier construction, brick
and roughcast render over possible timber frame. Steeply
pitched roof and a series of axial stacks.
INTERIORS: early C18 staircases with turned balusters and
moulded tread ends, and some fine wall-panelling.
Listing NGR: SJ4941912694
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings