History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wilford House

A Grade II Listed Building in Clifton North, City of Nottingham

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9252 / 52°55'30"N

Longitude: -1.1611 / 1°9'39"W

OS Eastings: 456493

OS Northings: 336749

OS Grid: SK564367

Mapcode National: GBR 8HY.M7T

Mapcode Global: WHDGZ.4QCV

Entry Name: Wilford House

Listing Date: 12 July 1972

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1247201

English Heritage Legacy ID: 456501

Location: Nottingham, NG11

County: City of Nottingham

Electoral Ward/Division: Clifton North

Built-Up Area: West Bridgford

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Wilford

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
West Bridgford

Listing Text


NOTTINGHAM

SK53NE CLIFTON LANE, Wilford
646-1/7/154 (South side)
12/07/72 Wilford House

GV II

Formerly known as: Wilford Hall CLIFTON LANE.
Country house, now offices. 1781. Designed by William
Henderson of Loughborough, and built by Samuel Stretton.
Additions mid C19 and late C20. Red brick, with ashlar and
stucco dressings and hipped slate roofs. 4 renewed external
stacks at the corners.
EXTERIOR: plinth, first floor band, dentillated eaves cornice,
renewed parapet. Windows are glazing bar sashes with brick
flat arches.
3 storeys; 5 window range. Square plan. Central doorway with
Adam style stucco surround and cornice, fielded 6-panel door
with sidelights and fanlight. On each side, 2 windows. Above,
5 windows in diminishing courses. To left, late C20 glazed
link and addition, 2 storeys.
Right return has projecting end bays with blanks. In the
centre, 3 windows on each floor, the ground floor centre
window round-arched.
Rear has regular fenestration, with 2 larger sashes to left on
the ground floor. To right, a recessed bay, then the C19
addition, 2 storeys; 2 window range.
INTERIOR; entrance hall and stairwell have corn-husk friezes
with medallions, and dentillated cornices. Stairwell has wall
panels and oval skylight. Stone cantilever dogleg stair with
winders at the foot, wrought-iron balustrade and ramped
scrolled handrail. Other rooms have moulded cornices and
6-panel doors.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London:
1979-: 272).


Listing NGR: SK5649336749

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.