History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Crematorium and Adjoining Chapels at City Road Cemetery

A Grade II Listed Building in Manor Castle, Sheffield

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.369 / 53°22'8"N

Longitude: -1.4395 / 1°26'22"W

OS Eastings: 437393

OS Northings: 385937

OS Grid: SK373859

Mapcode National: GBR 9PQ.Y3

Mapcode Global: WHDDP.VLQ3

Entry Name: Crematorium and Adjoining Chapels at City Road Cemetery

Listing Date: 12 December 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1247246

English Heritage Legacy ID: 456580

Location: Sheffield, S2

County: Sheffield

Electoral Ward/Division: Manor Castle

Built-Up Area: Sheffield

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Sheffield Manor St Aidan with St Luke

Church of England Diocese: Sheffield

Find accommodation in
Sheffield

Listing Text


SHEFFIELD

SK38NE CITY ROAD
784-1/6/183 (East side (off))
Crematorium and adjoining chapels at
City Road Cemetery

II

Crematorium and adjoining chapel. Chapel (formerly
Nonconformist) 1881, by ME Hadfield & Son for the Sheffield
Burial Board. Crematorium 1904-05, by C & CM Hadfield for
Sheffield City Council. Additional chapel and additions mid
C20. Coursed squared stone with ashlar dressings and slate and
stone slate roofs.
EXTERIOR: crematorium, C14 style, is based on the Abbot's
Kitchen at Glastonbury. Octagonal plan, with diagonal
buttresses at the angles, topped with gargoyles. String course
and moulded parapet. On 3 sides, a 4-light window with flat
head and label mould. Octagonal stone slate roof topped with a
crenellated octagonal lantern enclosing the square metal
stack. Glazed 2-light windows on each side.
Adjoining chapel, to north-west, Perpendicular style, has
plinth, sillband, coped parapet and gables. West gable has a
central projection topped with a gabled double bell turret
with octagonal finial. On either side, a traceried 2-light
window with transom and hoodmould. East gable has diagonal
buttresses and a 5-light pointed arch window with panel
tracery and hoodmould.
North side has 2 flat-headed 2-light windows flanked by
buttresses, and beyond, similar 3-light windows, all with
label moulds. South-east side has 2-light window. North-west
porch has shouldered coped gable with 2-light window, and in
the return angle, a doorway and window.
Mid C20 chapel, to south, has a tall 3-light window to south,
and single storey porches and projections to east and west.
INTERIOR not inspected.
(150 years of Architectural Drawing: Hadfield, Cawkwell &
Davidson: Sheffield: 1984-: 48-50).


Listing NGR: SK3739385937

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.