History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lansdowne Arms Hotel and Former Coach House, Stable and Brewhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Calne, Wiltshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4381 / 51°26'17"N

Longitude: -2.0055 / 2°0'19"W

OS Eastings: 399714

OS Northings: 171008

OS Grid: ST997710

Mapcode National: GBR 2SV.XDY

Mapcode Global: VHB42.634X

Entry Name: Lansdowne Arms Hotel and Former Coach House, Stable and Brewhouse

Listing Date: 19 May 1950

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1247495

English Heritage Legacy ID: 456995

Location: Calne, Wiltshire, SN11

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Calne

Built-Up Area: Calne

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Calne and Blackland St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Calne

Listing Text


CALNE

ST9971 THE STRAND
755-1/4/177 (West side)
19/05/50 Lansdowne Arms Hotel and former
coach house, stable and brewhouse

GV II*

Formerly known as: No.9 Lansdowne Arms Hotel THE STRAND.
Formerly known as: The Catherine Wheel Inn THE STRAND.
Inn and several houses, now hotel and former stables and
brewery buildings. Mid-late C17 left-hand end, refronted early
C18, left-hand range partly rebuilt mid C19, rear C18 and C19
brewery and stable buildings. Painted limestone rubble,
coursed limestone left-hand gable, coursed rubble rear blocks,
5 limestone ashlar ridge stacks, stone slate roof, with slates
and pantiles to rear blocks. Single-depth plan front range,
with former stable and brewery buildings forming a large
courtyard behind.
2 storeys and attic; 16-window range. A long parapeted front
with cornice has a segmental-arched carriage entrance 3 from
the right with a late C20 door, bolection-moulded surrounds to
6/6-pane sashes. An incorporated C17 3-window left-hand range
set back, with a ground-floor string, coped end gable with a
finial and moulded kneelers, and 1:2 cyma-moulded cross
windows with metal casements; on the first floor is a fire
mark dated 1696, inscribed MC with a lion; 1-window gable end
rebuilt c1866 has 3-light cross windows to each floor.
Rear elevation has irregular fenestration reflecting earlier
houses, with a left-hand 1-window gabled stair tower with a
C18 6/6-pane first-floor stair light with thick bars and
exposed frame, a wide central gable with 2 first-floor
6/6-pane sashes and an attic casement, and 2-storey right-hand
lean-to with paired first-floor 6/6-pane sashes; a date stone
is inscribed 1860. Large wrought-iron carriage lamp over the
entrance, and a large round clock toward the right-hand end in
a moulded surround.
S former stable range, 2 storeys; 4 windows, has a right-hand
segmental-arched carriage entrance.
Mid C19 W range, 2 storeys; 2 windows to the courtyard,
ground- and first-floor keyed segmental-arched windows with
ashlar surrounds and first-floor 21/21-pane sashes, above
paired segmental-arched doorways.
Mid C18 NW range raised on side of slope with a splayed
entrance corner and hipped roof, timber mullion windows
beneath the eaves, and a C19 door with overlight. Castle
Street end is half-hipped with timber lintels.
Former brewery to N side, early-mid C19, coursed rubble with
brick dressings and quoins. 3 storeys; 2-window range.
Inserted concrete lintels to later windows, partly blocked
wide entrance, with an octagonal banded brick gable chimney
with cornice at the left-hand end.
Former coach house. C17, rubble with stone slate roof. 2
storeys and attic; 1-window range. An irregular front has
quoins and a splayed right-hand corner, steep gable, wide
entrance, inserted first-floor window, and attic window with
ashlar surround.
INTERIOR: altered; details include a former through-passage to
the rear courtyard, with a rear open-well stair to the left
with column-on-vase balusters, a rear lateral passage;
left-hand end has 6 bays with arch-braced collars, and moulded
first-floor axial and lateral ceiling beams.
HISTORICAL NOTE: mentioned as an inn from 1582, known as the
Catherine Wheel. Existing building formed from amalgamation of
up to 5 domestic properties, parts of which can be seen in the
rear elevation.
An important group including the ancillary buildings round the
rear courtyard.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N & Cherry B: Wiltshire:
London: 1963-1975: 156).


Listing NGR: ST9971571004

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.