This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.3821 / 53°22'55"N
Longitude: -1.4728 / 1°28'22"W
OS Eastings: 435165
OS Northings: 387379
OS Grid: SK351873
Mapcode National: GBR 9GK.RD
Mapcode Global: WHDDP.B8X1
Plus Code: 9C5W9GJG+RV
Entry Name: Steel City House
Listing Date: 17 November 1992
Last Amended: 12 December 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1247502
English Heritage Legacy ID: 457003
Location: City, Sheffield, S1
Electoral Ward/Division: City
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Sheffield
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Sheffield
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK3587SW WEST STREET
784-1/24/751 (North West side)
17/11/92 Nos.6-18 (even) Steel City House
(Formerly Listed as:
Steel City House)
Telephone exchange, incorporating post office, shops and bank,
now offices. 1927, with mid and late C20 alterations. By HT
Rees for HM Office of Works. Steel frame with Portland stone
cladding and dressings, and flat roofs. Classical Revival
EXTERIOR: plinth, ground floor cornice, dentilled main cornice
and blocking course. 2 and 3 storeys; 9 window range.
Triangular island site with rounded corners. Windows are
mainly metal framed casements, with bronze framing to the
West Street front has central range, 7 windows, flanked by
slightly projecting pedimented end pavilions. Upper floors are
divided by giant Doric pilasters, with 3 cross casements
superimposed in each bay. Below, mid C20 metal framed doors
and flanking windows, with continuous smaller windows above.
End pavilions have similar fenestration to the centre bays,
plus a segmental pediment to the central window. On the ground
floor, to left, a moulded doorway with cornice and overlight,
and to right, 3 superimposed glazing bar windows.
Main entrance corner bay, to right, has 3 sets of 3
superimposed windows. Central window centre light has a
pediment on scroll brackets. Centre lights of the flanking
windows have cornices. All these windows have margin glazing.
Below, recessed semicircular portico with 2 massive fluted
Doric columns, covering a moulded stone surround with cornice,
containing pedimented wooden doorcase with fluted columns and
glazed double doors. Above, a glazing bar overlight, and above
the cornice, a margin glazed overlight. On either side, a late
C20 window and above it, a smaller window. In front of the
doors, wrought-iron gates with openwork piers.
Pinfold Street front, to right, 7 windows, has similar
fenestration and pedimented end bays. Ground floor has central
round-arched ashlar doorway with double keystone and
overlight, flanked by various windows and doors.
Holly Street front, 5 windows, has 3 centre windows divided by
pilasters and projecting end bays with segmental pediments to
the central windows.
INTERIOR: former bank at main entrance has pilastered walls
and enriched cross beam ceiling with moulded cornice, carried
on 4 square piers with anthemion capitals.
(Sheffield Telegraph 07/03/1927: Sheffield; Sheffield Daily
Listing NGR: SK3516587379
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings