This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.4057 / 53°24'20"N
Longitude: -1.4394 / 1°26'21"W
OS Eastings: 437366
OS Northings: 390020
OS Grid: SK373900
Mapcode National: GBR 9P8.ZY
Mapcode Global: WHDDH.VNRH
Plus Code: 9C5WCH46+76
Entry Name: Earl Marshal Training Centre and attached boundary walls
Listing Date: 12 December 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1247527
English Heritage Legacy ID: 457055
Location: Burngreave, Sheffield, S4
Electoral Ward/Division: Burngreave
Built-Up Area: Sheffield
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Sheffield St Cuthbert, Fir Vale
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
EARL MARSHAL ROAD (south west side)
Earl Marshal Training Centre and attached boundary walls
Formerly known as: Grimesthorpe School EARL MARSHAL ROAD.
School, now training centre, with attached boundary walls. 1874-75, with mid and late C20 alterations. By Innocent & Brown. For the Sheffield School Board. Rock-faced stone with ashlar dressings and gabled and hipped slate roofs. Three ridge stacks with pairs of square flues linked by louvred openings, plus shouldered side wall stack. Gothic Revival style.
EXTERIOR: plinth, string courses and sillbands, coped gables. Two storeys plus basement; 15 x 5 windows. T-plan. Double gabled central wing has flanking buttresses. Four shouldered windows and above, two pointed arched recesses with hoodmoulds, containing double lancets. Retaining wall, to basement, has recess with shouldered doorway under relieving arch. Returns have an off-centre canted wing with hipped roof and irregular fenestration.
To the rear of the wings, two windows on each floor, the upper ones shouldered. To the front of the wings, a single shouldered window on each floor. On either side, the main range has two shouldered windows on each floor, and beyond, a projecting hipped end bay. Right end bay has three shouldered windows and below, a large blocked pointed arched opening with inserted door. Left bay has two windows, and a similar opening below. Left return has five shouldered windows and below, a shouldered panel with datestone. Ground floor has two large blocked pointed arched openings. To right, an angle buttress topped with an octagonal single bellcote and octagonal spire. Right return has similar fenestration.
Rear elevation has central double gable with six windows, flanked by ranges of four windows. Beyond, hipped wings with two windows to right and three windows to left, and below, a pointed arched opening with double garage doors.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: enclosing boundary wall has rock-faced gabled coping, stepped and ramped. Earl Marshal Road side has buttresses, and to right, two gateways and a renewed railing. Grimesthorpe Road side has two gateways. Rear range, approximately 4 metres high, is a retaining wall.
This school is one of a number designed by Innocent & Brown for the Sheffield School Board, and is amongst the earliest in England to be built after the 1870 Education Act.
(RIBA LIBRARY; Researches by G Hague, Sheffield City Council).
Listing NGR: SK3736690020
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings