This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9517 / 52°57'5"N
Longitude: -1.1451 / 1°8'42"W
OS Eastings: 457536
OS Northings: 339706
OS Grid: SK575397
Mapcode National: GBR LQQ.61
Mapcode Global: WHDGZ.C2ZJ
Plus Code: 9C4WXV23+MX
Entry Name: Lace Market Theatre
Listing Date: 30 November 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1247625
English Heritage Legacy ID: 457224
Location: Nottingham, NG1
County: City of Nottingham
Electoral Ward/Division: Bridge
Built-Up Area: Nottingham
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Nottingham St Peter with St James
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
SK5739NE HALIFAX PLACE
646-1/21/242 (West side)
Lace Market Theatre
Unitarian chapel, later school, now theatre. c1760, remodelled
early C19, converted 1965-72. Red brick, with stucco front and
concrete tile roof.
Plinth, coped rear gable. Windows renewed, with glazing bars.
2 storeys; 5 x 4 windows. Front, Renaissance Revival style,
has minor cornice and elaborately shaped gable with finials.
Central doorway with pilasters and pediment, renewed double
doors and overlight. On each side, a dummy window, then a
blocked door with overlight. Above, a blank panel flanked by
single windows, then smaller windows. All these windows have
cornices. Left return has 4 blocked openings. Right return has
a single blocked opening. All these openings are
INTERIOR has king post roof with struts, collars, wind braces
and double purlins, largely of reused timber, and fire
damaged. Principal rafters end at collar level.
This building was used as a school from c1832 till c1850, and
then became a warehouse for lace and other goods (plaque
Listing NGR: SK5753639706
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings