History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Brandesburton Hall Hospital

A Grade II Listed Building in Brandesburton, East Riding of Yorkshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.9134 / 53°54'48"N

Longitude: -0.3092 / 0°18'33"W

OS Eastings: 511158

OS Northings: 447684

OS Grid: TA111476

Mapcode National: GBR VR85.VX

Mapcode Global: WHHFY.7W1S

Plus Code: 9C5XWM7R+98

Entry Name: Brandesburton Hall Hospital

Listing Date: 26 May 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1249828

English Heritage Legacy ID: 431528

Location: Brandesburton, East Riding of Yorkshire, YO25

County: East Riding of Yorkshire

Civil Parish: Brandesburton

Built-Up Area: Brandesburton

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Brandesburton St Mary

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Brandesburton

Description

The following building shall be added:-

TA 14 NW BRANDESBURTON MILL LANE

552-/5/10000
BrandesburtonHall
Hospital

II

Former country house, now hospital. 1772, 1874, c1900 with late C20
alterations and additions. Red brick with ashlar dressings and slate
roofs. Many tall brick stacks. Cill bands, first floor band and
moulded eaves plus brick parapet ashlar balusters. Quadrangle plan.
2 storey. South, garden front, 7 windows, with a central, single
storey ashlar frontispiƩce, with 3 sets of glazed doors separated by
rusticated pilasters, the central doorway flanked by Doric columns.
Above 3 plain sashes. Eitherside, 2 storey canted bay windows each
with 3 plain sashes. Beyond to the right a single plain sash to each
floor, to the left a single storey projection with glazed doors topped
by a brick parapet with ashlar balusters, and above a single glazing
bar sash. To the left a single storey C19 addition. East entrance
front, has off-centre 3 window projection, with a central projecting
3 storey entrance, with an ashlar porch. The projecting Edwardian
porch has rusticated pilasters with 2 Doric columns in antis and an
ashlar parapet with balusters, within a central doorway and flanking
pilasters. Above a tripartite sash and ashlar dividing pilasters,
above a brick pediment and a blank lower storey topped by a brick
balustrade with corner urns. Eitherside are single plain sashes to
each floor. To the left a 2 storey Edwardian addition with a
truncated external stack. To the right a 2 window wing, with a single
storey Victorian addition with 3 plain sashes and above 2 plain
sashes. The irregular north and west fronts are partly obscured by
later additions. Interior. Largely remodelled c1900, with a 3 flight
main staircase with square newels, moulded hand rail, and bulbous
turned balusters, plus an ornate stone fireplace with marble columns.
Lounge has ornate C18 wooden fire surround. Board room has good
quality C18 wooden fire surround with Edwardian overmantle and
flanking shell alcoves. Dining room has a pair of bolection mould
fireplaces with wooden surrounds and plaster over mantles, 4 fluted
Doric columns, 2 sets of Doric columns in antis and a glazed circular
dome. Throughout good quality wreathed plaster ceilings and fine
panel doors with wooden moulded surrounds.


Listing NGR: TA1115847684

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.