This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.9129 / 53°54'46"N
Longitude: -0.2972 / 0°17'49"W
OS Eastings: 511946
OS Northings: 447645
OS Grid: TA119476
Mapcode National: GBR VRC6.G2
Mapcode Global: WHHFY.DXQ6
Plus Code: 9C5XWP73+44
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 16 December 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1263780
English Heritage Legacy ID: 431476
Location: Brandesburton, East Riding of Yorkshire, YO25
County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Brandesburton
Built-Up Area: Brandesburton
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Brandesburton St Mary
Church of England Diocese: York
TA 14 NW BRANDESBURTON MAIN STREET
5/16 Church of Saint Mary
Church. C12 chancel, C13 nave aisles and west tower, late C14 south porch.
Restored 1892 by W.S. Weatherley. Coursed cobbles, late mediaeval red
brick, stone dressings, tiled roofs. West tower, 5-bay aisled nave with
south porch, 3-bay chancel with north vestry. West tower: 3 stages with
chamfered plinth and off-sets and diagonal buttresses. C19 window with ogee
tracery to second stage, paired lancets in square-headed opening to belfry.
Crenellated parapet. West window of paired lancets in square-headed opening
beneath ogee-headed niche. Nave: chamfered plinth and string course. Three
3-light pointed windows with Perpendicular tracery to south aisle; three 2-
light square-headed windows with cusped ogee tracery to clerestory. Pointed
south door with continuous chamfer and hoodmould. Porch: diagonal
buttresses, 4-centred arch to doorway, quatrefoil openings to east and west
walls. Crenellated parapet with gargoyles. Chancel: 3-light square-headed
window with cusped ogee tracery to west, two 3-light 4-centred windows with
C19 tracery in Perpendicular style to east. Chamfered round-headed priests'
door with chamfered imposts and continuous hoodmould. East end: dwarf
buttress beneath pointed 5-light window with Perpendicular tracery under
hoodmould. One surviving lancet to north wall. Remains of earlier gable
against nave east gable: coped, with brattished finial. Interior:
quadruple-chamfered tower arch on polygonal responds. Nave: C13 north and
south arcades with waterholding bases, cylindrical piers (one octagonal to
north) and round abaci suppporting pointed double-chamfered arches. Ogee
headed piscina to south aisle wall. C15 chancel arch. Chancel: squint to
north vestry beneath blocked lancet. Aumbries to north, south, and east
walls. Remains of niche with crocketed ogee canopy to north wall. Brasses
to William Darrell, Rector, died 1364, and to Sir John de St. Quintin, died
1397, and his wife. Wall monument to Reverend Charles Richardson died 1755:
inscription in architrave under broken pediment with coat of arms.
Octagonal font reset on C19 octagonal column and base. Much C12 carved
stone incorporated in late C19 repairs and alterations to west tower.
Listing NGR: TA1194247643
Other nearby listed buildings